Horological Humility: I Had To Re-Learn A Lesson Tonight

Around 6 months ago, I acquired my initial set of mainspring winders. Before that, I had been manually installing mainsprings, a task I had grown quite comfortable with. I underwent the usual learning curve associated with adopting a winder, specifically the Bergeon arbor/drum type. While I faced challenges at the outset, I managed to achieve significant success following a few initial setbacks.

However, tonight marked an instance where my confidence with the winder led me astray. As I commenced assembling my next project, I allowed overconfidence to cloud my judgment. I successfully wound the mainspring up to the bridal point, and with a hasty adjustment by hand, I attempted to insert the bridal in the drum and finish winding the mainspring. Unfortunately, my approach was far too forceful, and the bridal was not properly aligned within the drum. The consequence was immediate: a resounding SNAP!  The mainspring broke precisely at the bridal junction.

This mishap was unequivocally my own doing, serving as a stark reminder that the pace of our work, especially when dealing with vintage watches, must be deliberate and measured. Regrettably, I had failed to give due attention to my actions, and the repercussions were evident. This incident underscored the value of patience and attentiveness when working on horological projects.

I couldn't escape the irony that my error led to a $32 order from Jules Borel tonight. Though it had been some time since I last required a replacement part due to my own blunder, this served as an insightful lesson I won't soon forget.

1.thumb.jpg.f4983d1adfa70df4f614c9332335e244.jpg

Edited by thor447
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

• thor447 changed the title to Horological Humility: I Had To Re-Learn A Lesson Tonight

I almost did the same thing 2 days ago. My root cause was I was trying to use a 1 size too small winder for the spring/barrel. It was an automatic as well. I think the winder has to be close to the same barrel diameter and so the bridal of the spring will more easily fit into the winder barrel without forcing the arbor during winding or having the bridal outside the slot.

Is it a Seiko spring? I always hand wind them, that backwards bridal set up doesn't seem to work too well with mainspring winders. I even reached out to Mike on My Retro Watches, who confirmed the same and said he too also hand wound Seiko springs.

Edited by Waggy
Fixed many typos

5 hours ago, Waggy said:

Is it a Seiko spring? I always hand wind them, that backwards bridal set up doesn't seem to work too well with mainspring winders. I even reached out to Mike on My Retro Watches, who confirmed the same and said he too also hand wound Seiko springs.

It was a Hamilton spring.

Ah yes, I know that *snap* when I hear it.  Heard it at least twice, possibly three times.  I think the time that we really start getting good at using watch winders (and other tools) is when we get to the point of realizing we will never *believe* we are that good, so we go even slower and more carefully that we used to.  It hurts to have to pay out of pocket for parts that I, myself, broke (or lost, like click springs) so some tools I become very mindful of, very cautious with, and may always be on "high-alert" when using.  Perhaps that is the way it should be.  I think that is how we learn sometimes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

I think that is how we learn sometimes.

So true, I had a friend who used to say "sometimes it has to hurt to learn" I have found this to be true on so many occasions, just part of the human condition I suppose.

• Like 2

I replaced a PW manual wind MS the other day.  It did not use a "bridle" in the automatic wind sense, but had the reverse catch welded to the end.  I was winding in my trusty K&D winder and got close to inserting it into the winder at that last stage and it just popped off.

I think it was a bad weld, frankly.  Easy fix.  Annealed the end and bent it back.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2023 at 6:09 PM, TKM3RD said:

Good reminder.

I need to hang a sign above my bench saying "Yo, doofus, slow down and pay attention!"

Print up enough of those signs for us, and you could make a tidy sum from it.  Times come when we all need it.

• Like 1