How to open the motor on an L&R Master?

Hello folks- I recently acquired an L&R Master. I think there were a few varieties of this machine, this is the presumably later version that had both switches, the speed control, and the lamp all on the same front panel plate.

I have been rewiring the unit to add a ground and eliminate ancient crumbling insulation. Before I started this effort I noticed that the reverse operation was intermittent and after the manipulations during the job reverse is now totally dead. I’m virtually certain that the wiring inside the post is the problem, I’ve proven continuity from the switch up to that point.

The one thing I wasn’t quite able to figure out was how to open up the motor casing so that I can replace the power feed through the post with a properly flexible cable. I was able to remove the six screws on the underside of the motor, but at that point the bottom half of the motor case appears to be able to spin freely around the rotor and I’m not quite sure what needs to happen in order to separate the two halves of the case to access the internals.  I’m sure it’s something simple- what did I miss?

Most members here on this forum do not possess remote viewing abilities. So, photos would definitely help us help you.

It sounds like your cover is held back by a stuck bearing. Your rotor shaft might be dirty or rusted. Spray WD40 and leave it overnight and try prying slowly all around the cover.

For really stuck cases, you might need a bearing puller to get the cover off.

Sorry- here are some pics.

As I mentioned, I can remove that bottom black ring no problem.  In one of the shots you can see a sort of metal disk with a groove in its edge just below the motor housing, I have not tried to pry it off, and not sure if I should.  It is not holding up the motor casing half, there’s a small gap between them. You can see the bottom half of the motor housing which comes loose and spins freely once the screws are out, but not sure what’s keeping it from dropping off- is there a bearing pressed into it on the other side?

The WD-40 sounds like a reasonable idea. How’s it -supposed- to come apart,  if it was in perfect condition and nothing was gunked up?

IMG_1538.jpeg

IMG_1536.jpeg

Edited by AndrewSi

That ring is called a slinger. It is to prevent liquids from riding up the shaft and into the motor. 

This is where a bearing puller comes in if you do not have a hydraulic press. They are like oversized hand pullers. There are various sizes and lengths available. You'll need one that is long enough to reach the bearing and yet have jaws fine enough the go into the gap to grip the ring.

Edited by HectorLooi
Typo
  • Like 2