Convert buffing machine to lapping machine

Hello all, I'm wondering if anyone can come up with a way to convert my little buffing machine to a lapping machine.this is the device I have:

image.png.1ec8170b54ab1863b2f378b45e8a04d1.png

And I trying to find a way I can attach a flat lapping disc to it. The inner spindle is 8mm diameter.

Anyone out there have any good ideas? I can't be the first person to think of this.

Forgot to mention that the Max buffing wheel size is 4"/100mm. It also has variable speed

I have seen a while back 4”/100mm tin lapping plates with a hole in the middle. You will also need to fabricate a platform which can be raised/lowered and the bed angled that will be solid enough to robustly support your project. I will watch this eagerly for an outcome as I have been toying with the same idea, lapping one side and polishing on the other.

Tom

6 minutes ago, Waggy said:

What about using the side of a felt mop instead of a plate with abrasive disc on it? Then all I need is the platform.... Maybe 3D print something?

Just a thought...

I was looking at lapping, that would for me using either a metal disc with adhesive backed abrasives or several plates with diamond paste if heading for zaratsu/black polish finishes on cases. I don’t have any experience with 3d printing, I expect it would be possible my concern would be being able to have a platform that would not flex. Maybe @LittleWatchShop could suggest an approach.

Tom

I don't think a cheap polishing bench top lathe has enough torque at low speeds for the job. And the bearings on these motors probably have too much runout for wobble free spinning.

But turning this polishing motor on it's side with the spindle facing upwards, it can probably be converted to something like the Jool Tool. The only question is whether the tapered threads of the Jool Tool disc will fit the threads on the spindle.

I have been contemplating modifying my graver sharpener into a lapping motor. It has fantastic power at low speeds, hardly any wobble, a sturdy aluminum table with velcro for ready made sanding discs and even better, it has diamond plates for even higher precision grinding.

Electric Polisher Knife Sharpener Hairdressing Scissors Manicure Knife Special Polishing Machine Diamond Grinding Disc
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNcauxk

The only thing it needs is an adjustable tilt table. I'm sure there are ready made solutions from other industries. So I'm hoping to find something useable instead of building from scratch.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Electric Polisher Knife Sharpener Hairdressing Scissors Manicure Knife Special Polishing Machine Diamond Grinding Disc
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNcauxk

I was looking at this on Ali and seems like a great idea! Will get my son working on finding/designing a 3D print table whilst I search for a pre-made one I can adapt.

I have been considering a Sherline tilt table but there are no dimensions given. Does anyone own one of these?

https://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/303783554555?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=3423-175132-2357-0&ssspo=YzYhY2dURU2&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=v36TsHWBSw-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

If you are considering buying the knife sharpener machine I mentioned above, let me warn you first. The mounting arbor needs a bit of work when it arrives. (Like everything that comes from China.)

The mounting arbor will probably wobble a lot, but a bit of cutting with a sharp graver would centre and true it in no time.

The finished result is a really flat turntable with no runout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HectorLooi said:

I have been considering a Sherline tilt table but there are no dimensions given. Does anyone own one of these?

https://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/303783554555?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=3423-175132-2357-0&ssspo=YzYhY2dURU2&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=v36TsHWBSw-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

If you are considering buying the knife sharpener machine I mentioned above, let me warn you first. The mounting arbor needs a bit of work when it arrives. (Like everything that comes from China.)

The mounting arbor will probably wobble a lot, but a bit of cutting with a sharp graver would centre and true it in no time.

The finished result is a really flat turntable with no runout.

The dimensions are here Hector, under specifications 

https://www.sherline.com/product/3750-tilting-angle-table/#specifications

Tom