Greetings, Everyone!

DebWise

Hello! I am Deb (“Dr.Deb”) Wise. I’m honored to be among those who have chosen this forum for learning. I started dabbling with timepieces at a very young age by sitting at the kitchen table and taking apart wristwatches with my mother’s eyebrow tweezers. As I grew older, I never lost my fascination with watches and their stories but like many of us, the pressure to be “responsible” pushed me into a different career, ultimately as a university educator. Now, as that career is nearing its end and I look at retirement, I have the time and ability to pursue the passion I have held so dear. My husband and I travel the US in our motorhome with our three pups. The ability to repair/restore timepieces while we travel is the perfect way to meet new people and their watches.

E660021E-CB7B-4A3F-BB79-FCB6D13C1E5E.jpeg

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Never seen that but yes very practical Hector 
    • Welcome, Simeon! I'm into Soviet watches too (not the political system, and yes, I am able to make the distinction, unlike some). They offer amazing value for money. I like your "Big Zero" profile image. It's a true classic and I have one of those myself. I noticed that the hands aren't the original. Not that it matters a lot but here's an interesting article about the Big Zero if you haven't already seen it.
    • I was thinking will the gasket stretch at all to match the desired size.  Did i also deduce that the original gasket is thinner (0 .5mm ) than the cousins gasket ( 0.8mm )  could that just be an effect of you measuring the case for the gasket size  H  ?
    • if we look at and understand why steel becomes magnetised and unmagnetised then its possible to work out why some devices are better than others. Simpy it is a parallel alignment of atoms , electrons within a material caused by external magnetic fields. Different magnetic fields cause different alignments and non alignment of atoms. Fields by AC currents are changing atom direction approx 50 times per second ( 50hz ). As a material is drawn away from a demagging device the field is becoming progressively weaker while also changing the material's atom direction having the effect of returning their random directions ( demagnetising ) . To improve on this demagetising effect, try changing the material's orientation as it is drawn away.  Fields caused by DC currents have the most permanent magnetising effect as the currect is flowing one way only. A good demagger would produce random magnet fields and disorientation of the material's atoms.  
    • Welcome to the forum, enjoy.