53 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I bought a litre of perc (tetrachloroethylene ) for 20 quid. I cant say I'm particularly impressed with it.

Good to know, I'll move that to the bottom of the list

1 hour ago, Waggy said:

Good to know, I'll move that to the bottom of the list

I can't say I've found it any better than naptha, why these chemicals specifically for hairsprings ? Just going slightly off topic, yesterday i was sorting out a very poorly balance assembly on a 90 year old AS554. All components of it in bad shape, first to deal with was a rusty hairspring. I did a write up a couple of years ago going through various kitchen items and their chemical make up in order of their aggressive nature on steel. The mildest being citric acid in particular lemon juice, so i thought i would try this first, anything stronger could eat through fragile thin steel very quickly. I used freshly squeezed juice heated on a wax melt heat plate to about 60° and soaked the hs for about 2 hours. Then lightly brushed and rinsed in IPA. The results were very good, the effects of the rust were still obvious but the  iron oxide was completely removed. The pictures are the befores.

20240505_230732.jpg

20240505_231039.jpg

• Like 1