Seiko Sport Chrono 7T42 6A6A

Rabbit

Gifted me by the kids when I reached 50 back in 1994! It's not been that great tbh (and I much prefer my even older/less expensive H557 5000 Duo which though 'different' is utterly reliable). The 7T42 has been sitting in a drawer since it went a bit haywire 23 year ago (as described below) and I'd like to get it going. I've just fitted a new Seiko SR927W battery and earthed the AC and it's powered-up OK but still not operating at all correctly.

I've tried the IC reset procedure to no avail - when crown 1 is pushed fully 'in' the 60 second sub-dial shoots around in approx. 46 second spurts, the sweep second hand is stationery and the minute hand shoots around in approx. 2 minute spurts; the hour hand appears to move normally (but speeded up to the minute hand pace). The alarm dial seems to function but there is no chime and the sweep hand does move smoothly when I've tried re-sets; the date window operates fine.

I don't want to send it back to Seiko UK so anyone out there got some helpful advice to get it going again.