Hi all, this is driving me nuts and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.  What is happening is after I clean the pallet fork, the pallet stones, and then get them reinstalled correctly, adjusted and then shellacked back in, I go to install the pallet fork back in, which I do.  I then go to start oiling the stones, and as I lightly apply oil with a very fine oiler, the stones wiggle in the pallet fork.  What I mean my wiggle is they move.  They are shellacked in so why are they moving?

I have watched numerous Videos on how to shellac the pallet stones.  I have a Gaston warmer and I thought I had an issue with the initial shellac I had, so I bought two new types of Shellac from Esslinger.  One is the dark flakes, and the other is that hard rectangular stick.  I've tried using both of these as well and the same thing happens.

I have attached a picture of the last attempt to show what my shellac job looks like in case I am doing something wrong that I am missing.  I'm starting to think I am a complete idiot or something.

2023_0530_160446_002.JPG

EDIT:

Okay, I think I figured out something I might have been doing wrong.  Donald de Carle notes in his book on p38 the following

image.png.65a4e9560e7059764af9e806c12dd00d.png

I have not been drawing the stone in and out to work the shellac in between the sides of the slot.  All of the videos that I have seen just show the person applying it at the back of the slot and that's it.  I'll give this a try tomorrow and see if that improves the situation.

Edited by kd8tzc
foudn a possible cause of my issue