Hi from Michigan

kashub

Hi all,

Continuing the trend, I thought watch repair might be a good hobby for my upcoming retirement.  I've always loved pocket watches and I've been following some watch repair channels on Youtube.

Then totally by coincidence last Christmas my brother handed me a pocket watch he found in a box of our dad's stuff.  A model 1899 Waltham 'Special'  that belonged to my great-great uncle.  It was in really bad shape - 2 broken jewels, broken seconds wheel, hairspring, no dial or hands, broken case lid.  But family history is important to me so I wanted to have it restored.  I found a local watchmaker I was comfortable with, but as luck would have it he had to close up shop due to business reasons.  So I've decided to concentrate on Waltham 1899s and collected practice pieces and donor parts.

I'm pretty comfortable taking an 1899 apart and putting it back (apart from the keyless works).  So far I managed to resurrect a 'non working' $9 ebay special.  And on my great uncle's watch I replaced the broken jewels and wheel, and have a smooth moving train. 

I still have a lot of basics to learn.  I'm hoping to pick up some good tips here.

-John

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

Thanks.

I was lucky to find another same model just a few serial numbers off.  And the screw set jewels made the swap easy.

But not just a donor movement - the case is also missing the bezel and crystal.  Well after a few months of waiting I saw a similar looking J Boss case on ebay, and serial number somewhat close to mine.  And BINGO - it fits!   I feel like I won the lottery.