Watch Hand Alignment (Mechanical vs Quartz)

Hello all, hope you're well.

I've been working on Miyota movements for years and usually if the movement doesn't have a calendar i'll move the hour hand backwards to twelve before installing the minute hand.  I got told this before but I've never fully understood why.... can anyone clear that up for me?

As opposed to any calendar or quartz movement that i'll always install with the hour hand adjusted forwards to twelve.

Thanks for your time and patience 

• Like 1

I've had to repair quartz watches (needed the money) and as I understand the mechanism, with a basic hour-minute-second SMQ it has no mainspring or any other works to offer resistance that would damage the train, so it won't matter which way you turn to set it.  But I am in the habit of setting clockwise because it is safest if you do not know the watch well.

With additional complications such as calendar functions, those are meant to revolve a certain way and you are correct to only set them in a clockwise direction. 

• Like 1

It's mostly always installing from new, and the Miyota movements I refer to are all mechanical by the way (82S0, 8N24 etc).

I believe it is something to do with when the gear train re-engages after changing the from time setting mode.  Thanks for your replies, great community on here!👍