That is an Accutron tuning fork watch. I wouldn't advise a newbie to attempt this. The repair would require a microscope, an Accutron tester, a multimeter, a variable power supply and specialized tools.

There are a lot of articles and videos on the web explaining the inner workings of an Accutron. Absorb everything you can and then decide if you are ready for it.

If you are looking for a battery watch to dabble with, perhaps a modern quartz watch would be a good starting point. Or an electromechanical watch like a Timex Electric, Hamilton Electric, Dynatron, Cosmotron.

26 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

That is an Accutron tuning fork watch. I wouldn't advise a newbie to attempt this. The repair would require a microscope, an Accutron tester, a multimeter, a variable power supply and specialized tools.

There are a lot of articles and videos on the web explaining the inner workings of an Accutron. Absorb everything you can and then decide if you are ready for it.

If you are looking for a battery watch to dabble with, perhaps a modern quartz watch would be a good starting point. Or an electromechanical watch like a Timex Electric, Hamilton Electric, Dynatron, Cosmotron.

Thanks. 

Sure is beautiful though, isn't it? I've been researching and accumulating tools, power supplies, and meters to service 218 movements for quite some time now, and it's still very intimidating.

If you do try to tackle it, let us know! I've got a half dozen movements at home in the queue.

4 hours ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

accumulating

the other thing you want to accumulate if you working on tuning fork watches are the parts. In particular the index wheel's. They have a habit of not lasting forever they have held up quite well but the super tiny teeth just don't last forever so really want to have key spare parts just in case.

4 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

the other thing you want to accumulate if you working on tuning fork watches are the parts. In particular the index wheel's. They have a habit of not lasting forever they have held up quite well but the super tiny teeth just don't last forever so really want to have key spare parts just in case.

Has anyone, outside of the factory, succeeded in making a new index wheel?

2 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Has anyone, outside of the factory, succeeded in making a new index wheel?

before I get into index wheel's let's see what were talking about that has index wheel's. The first website talks about the tuning fork watches. On the second page is the gallery page see how many tuning fork watches you see? I'm not seeing at something in particular so I think at least one watch or actually several are missing. The link scroll down until you get the tuning fork watches he mentions the one that's missing but doesn't have any pictures. The second link is interesting because basically it's the contents of the book which has been referenced in the first link somewhere in the website they talk about this book if you're into electric watches the book is nicer than the website though and is still missing at least one picture

okay found the missing watch which brings up a question who made their index wheel? We have the Russians on the fourth flank with their clone of the 214 and their stylish different color. We of the Swiss working out how it to break Bulova's patent sort of with their index wheel which is a different number of teeth in fact in Bulova's watches. Then we have citizen that has a different version of the 219 and I guess because citizen of Bulova working together they probably made the watches together probably the same machinery

then there was the re-issue a tuning fork watch from Bulova no idea whether they recycled or had a backlog of index wheel somewhere although I don't think so.

So as far as I know other than the minor mysteries I brought up only Bulova made index wheel's with a certain mystery as to how they were actually made.

https://electric-watches.co.uk/movement-types/tuning-fork/

https://electric-watches.co.uk/movement-gallery/

https://doensen.home.xs4all.nl/contents.html

https://sovietunionussr.com/slava-transistor-tranzistor-very-rare-tuning-fork-gold-plated-ussr-wristwatch/