Steffens Watches

Steffen

Hi,
I must admit this first post is more of a camera test.
Your pictures are all so crisp, so I wanted to see how this turned out with my Canon on a tripod. I found it to be a hassle to fiddle around with focus, lighting and positioning everytime I moved the watch, so now my compact camera is charging. I'll try it handheld in macro mode later.

My father once offered me his Omega, but I was too young at the time and my wrist doesn't like Nickel, so that watch passed to my younger brother.
When I finally got old enough that it was OK to admit to the world that I like hats, bairds, the smoking of pipes and pocket watches, he gave me his grandfathers pocket watch.
Although my great grandfather dug for Opals in Australia he never became a rich man. Other than being Swiss, I know very little about this modest watch, which he wore in a nickle-plated paircase to work in the mines after returning to Norway.
It has a cylindre escapement, and I have a few similar "job lot" movements with broken escape wheel teeth, so I've decided not to use this watch at all. (I have a rough and scratched Thommen with a chipped dial and lever escapement that I cleaned up and use daily instead.)
It runs when "pocket warm", and a bath would probably do good, but because of the sentimental value I'm putting that off for later.

IMG_1582_zpsqdadn9gq.jpg

IMG_1584_zps2kgevxmd.jpg

For formal wear, I bought a serviced English pocket watch by Cowderoy of London, 1891. I haven't been able to find much info on this maker.
I've been trying to find a chain for it, but so far no luck.
But it will still be some time until my girlfriend finishes sewing my traditional outfit, so I'm in no rush.

IMG_1585_zps4hriwpob.jpg

More pictures to follow once my camera is charged up.

Well, I had a try with the compact camera and it's awful grainy, so I mounted my SLR back up, this time on a leaning tripod.

I've never had a go with anything smaller than a pocket watch. But my mother-in-law picked up this rather scruffy Orano from the junk bucket at work, so yesterday I popped it open. Literally.
Thanks Mark for the syringe trick on Youtube. ;)
It has a broken crown, so I had to weasle what was left of that out from the back first to get enough airflow.

(The back and the movement says Spera. I don't know the history of these companies, did they merge?)
IMG_1575_zpskoebniqk.jpg

Aside for someone drowning it in thick oil at some point, there were no apparent major issues, so when cleaned it started right up again.
I suspect maybe a problem with an endstone or a balance pivot, because in some positions I can hear it dragging before stopping.
4b416041-a1db-4f16-a9dd-8afc038d459a_zps

My next cleaning project will be even smaller, these two watches I got at a fleamarket for 2£ each.
Both are runners, but only the Junghans runs well. I get a workshop vibe from it's "snagless" design, so I've worn it when woodturning etc. and didn't even notice it was there.
IMG_1588_zpsjnkroptb.jpg
IMG_1589_zpsjcixa8fj.jpg

"Dyrsku'n" is probably the largest fair in Norway, and among many other things it is a mekka for trading knives and watches.
Everyone seems to be collecting Walthams and Elgins at outrageous prices, so I was hopeful for a good deal if I found some keyless English watches.
Sure enough, among a pile of American watches with bloated crowns, this one by "Geo Beifield" stood out.

Some problems were immediately obvious, I could see glue around a too-modern looking crystal, and sure enough when I got home it fell off.
Also the dial is damaged and I'm not too sure about that hour hand.
IMG_1590_zps2jdm2rrh.jpg

The paircase has taken a beating and I suspect more than one straightening over the years, and the clocks bezel hinge looks like a botch job with some brass tube.
Still, I was thrilled it even had a fitting paircase.
IMG_1591_zpsubhrx5mq.jpg

The seller assured me it was a runner, but when I asked him to wind it, it wouldn't start.
So he made an offer of 100£ as-is. Still unsure, I asked him to open it again and had a long, good look inside. Suddenly it started, and I looked up and said "100£, you say? I'll take it."
In retrospect I think he only wound it slightly, I've had no trouble getting it started.
IMG_1592_zpsnxsfkbse.jpg

• Like 1

Of course I was somewhat influenced by Ebay prices where it seems even broken watches go for over 200£ as long as it's 19th century.
Also local prices are inflated.

I never managed to find much comparison, but just now I Googled "Geo Beifield", and presto:
http://www.fellows.co.uk/1088-lot-456-A-Silver-pocket-watch-London-1795-Verge-G?auction_id=89&view=lot_detail

A nicer condition 1795 Beifield hammered at 260£.
Not sure how I compare at the moment, the case itself is decent (I'll snap some more pictures tomorrow) but other than that...mine is supposedly not 18th century if that is some sort of magic treshold. I'll recheck the hallmark.