longines l890.1 date indicator driving wheel

peter64

Hi all,

This is my second posting since joining the forum about 2 weeks ago. My query this time is as per title. I recently purchased A Longines  automatic watch which had the L890.1 movement, the watch was running fine when I got albeit the hour and minute hands were not advancing. I immeadiately thought the problem would have something to do with the cannon pinion but upon opening the watch and removing the dial I noticed a number of stripped teeth from the hour wheel. Further investigation revealed a pair of small spring wires protruding from the date indicator driving wheel the purpose of these I can only assume is to give a rapid date changeover. I Googled this problem and found a uTube video showing the date change in operation and low and behold in the video there was no sign of these spring wires so it would appear the watch would still function with these wires omitted .I have since removed these wires but unfortunately can't test it as I am waiting on a new hour wheel. A nice movement but I believe this was a design flaw. By the way I forgot to mention that on side of the wire springs was awkwardly bent thus stopping the wheel from turning which in turn led to the stripping of the teeth from the hour wheel. Anyone else come across this problems?

Peter  

• 9 months later...

Hello Peter! I openend one today and a donor movement too. Both have the spring inside the date change wheel broken and one of them has the hour wheel missing a few theeth. I also noticed deep wear marks on the small golden barrel teeth on both examples, even tho one of the movements is looking otherwise unused.. I will try to dismantle one of the date changing wheels (non-destructively hopefully) and atempt to replicate the spring.