Hello again. Can anyone assist with information as to purchasing a replacement mainspring for a Seiko 7009a? When use my Chinese set the winder fails to engage the spigot. I have tried to manually wind the spring into the winding barrel. I have broken my two remaining springs. I have looked on Cousins UK but have failed to  locate any such replacements. Can anyone help with a location for purchase please. Thank you

If you are desperate there are always a few on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275161745300?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=j02t-HSET9K&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=cJqjENlHSBe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Or someone on here once posted a link to one at Cousins, it was found via their spring by size search.  Hopefully who ever it was will post the link again, I thought I saved it but can't find it now.

23 minutes ago, Paul80 said:

If you are desperate there are always a few on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275161745300?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=j02t-HSET9K&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=cJqjENlHSBe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Or someone on here once posted a link to one at Cousins, it was found via their spring by size search.  Hopefully who ever it was will post the link again, I thought I saved it but can't find it now.

Thank you for that. I had seen that one. Is the 7005 compatible with the 7009?

Edited by rossjackson01
Grammar

9 minutes ago, JohnFrum said:

Note that NOS barrel completes - 201.024, 201.075 can be had for around 13 Euros 

JohnFrum

Good to know. If you know the location of that availability, could you let me know please?

13 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

Thank you for that. I had seen that one. Is the 7005 compatible with the 7009?

Thank you Paul 80

Update. From advert above that one. It would appear that 7005 is compatible. thank you

Edited by rossjackson01

Hello again. Request for more information please.

I have a mainspring winder set that I wish to use. However I seem to have hit a problem.

My question is this. When I come to inset the winder spigot into the mainspring, invariably the hole is larger that then size of the spigot. The hook will not hold the spring and allow a wind. 

As many of you are expert in this field and must have overcome this problem yourselves. How do you make the centre of the spring smaller? What tool do you use.

Thank you

Ross

I'm no expert but had the same issue today. I just used my brass tweezers to gently decrease the diameter of the inner coil by both squeezing the coil and grabbing the coil and giving it a very small "twist" towards the inside of the curl, walking the tweezers up towards the coil terminus as I went. I wasn't trying to decrease the diameter with one big bend but rather a series of very small bends. Note, this was because the barrel arbor didn't want to hook onto the spring, not the mainspring winder. You could try using a winder arbor that is one size bigger than the one you are now using while still using the same size winder.

Edited by GuyMontag
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2023 at 9:39 PM, rossjackson01 said:

Hello again. Can anyone assist with information as to purchasing a replacement mainspring for a Seiko 7009a? When use my Chinese set the winder fails to engage the spigot. I have tried to manually wind the spring into the winding barrel. I have broken my two remaining springs. I have looked on Cousins UK but have failed to  locate any such replacements. Can anyone help with a location for purchase please. Thank you

Hi, A new barrel complete can be bought on eBay for just over £20 with shipping included. Search for seller dalbeattie9 . I have bought one and it works great in my 7009 Seiko Actus. Wouldn't buy NOS as the spring is likely to be set after so many years. Steve.

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2023 at 1:20 PM, rossjackson01 said:

Hello again. Request for more information please.

I have a mainspring winder set that I wish to use. However I seem to have hit a problem.

My question is this. When I come to inset the winder spigot into the mainspring, invariably the hole is larger that then size of the spigot. The hook will not hold the spring and allow a wind. 

As many of you are expert in this field and must have overcome this problem yourselves. How do you make the centre of the spring smaller? What tool do you use.

Thank you

Ross

Try using 8200 in chinese winder and left rotating

• Thanks 1