Eyup watch lovers hope you are all well. Just here to ask for a little advice on choosing a lathe. Ive been bitten by the machining side of watch repair, i love the idea of being able to make parts if ever needed. I do have a watchmakers lathe but fancied something a little bigger, upgradable and capable of making some tools as well. I see a particular make that crops up quite often and wondered if anyone has any experience with it. 

Screenshot_20230301-074533_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230301-074548_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230301-081612_eBay.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 2

I've read up on Pultra a bit as I was considering them for a second lathe, seems like very very good stuff. I'm sure you've found Tony's site on machines and the Pultra page.

A few things to consider- the basic machine is based on the Webster Whitcomb design, that is the center height (50mm) and bed form are to those guidelines. They did make a machine that looks identical from a distance but with a higher center height (90mm)  and larger (20mm) collets. Most of the "regular" lathes they made take 10mm collets. The older ones, and open-head ones like in your pics are generally 8mm. They also had a model similar to what is called a "Geneva pattern" with a much smaller bed.

In general there is more tooling around for 8mm spindles. But 10mm is out there too, just watch out for different threads. My recommendation is to find a rather complete set (like your pics), as having a cross slide is fundamental in my mind, and gathering up all the other bits separately can add up very fast. I like that it seems all their machines came with collet holding tailstocks- that's a big plus.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nickelsilver said:

I've read up on Pultra a bit as I was considering them for a second lathe, seems like very very good stuff. I'm sure you've found Tony's site on machines and the Pultra page.

A few things to consider- the basic machine is based on the Webster Whitcomb design, that is the center height (50mm) and bed form are to those guidelines. They did make a machine that looks identical from a distance but with a higher center height (90mm)  and larger (20mm) collets. Most of the "regular" lathes they made take 10mm collets. The older ones, and open-head ones like in your pics are generally 8mm. They also had a model similar to what is called a "Geneva pattern" with a much smaller bed.

In general there is more tooling around for 8mm spindles. But 10mm is out there too, just watch out for different threads. My recommendation is to find a rather complete set (like your pics), as having a cross slide is fundamental in my mind, and gathering up all the other bits separately can add up very fast. I like that it seems all their machines came with collet holding tailstocks- that's a big plus.

Thank you for the information Nicklesilver.  Probably getting a bit ahead of myself but I've also seen these set up with milling attachments.

On 3/1/2023 at 11:57 AM, nickelsilver said:

Hi Nicklesilver, so after some reading the lathe I'm looking at seems to be a Pultra P model lathe.  Quoted as being an accurate production lathe also supplied to the MOD during WW2. This one comes with so much it seems a shame to pass up on one as complete as this. Would you have any idea on value ? It does look like there is only me and one other person interested on ebay as its a cash only collection sale. Not too far away from me, just a morning there and back. I appreciate any help you can give me. 

3 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Hi Nicklesilver, so after some reading the lathe I'm looking at seems to be a Pultra P model lathe.  Quoted as being an accurate production lathe also supplied to the MOD during WW2. This one comes with so much it seems a shame to pass up on one as complete as this. Would you have any idea on value ? It does look like there is only me and one other person interested on ebay as its a cash only collection sale. Not too far away from me, just a morning there and back. I appreciate any help you can give me. 

If I was a green watchmaker (which I was), and saw a deal like this (which I didn't, it was a Levin lathe with no tooling for 2/3 the price 25 years ago {which I bought, loved, and replaced} ), I'd beg or borrow the cash for this. As an older pro I've half a mind to buy it from under you, as a back-up, but it's pick up only, and I really don't need it, haha!

That looks like a great deal. Could use some more collets, but otherwise very complete.

6 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

If I was a green watchmaker (which I was), and saw a deal like this (which I didn't, it was a Levin lathe with no tooling for 2/3 the price 25 years ago {which I bought, loved, and replaced} ), I'd beg or borrow the cash for this. As an older pro I've half a mind to buy it from under you, as a back-up, but it's pick up only, and I really don't need it, haha!

That looks like a great deal. Could use some more collets, but otherwise very complete.

Thanks Nicklesilver. Only a day and a half left to end of bids and currently just above its starting price of 600 GBP. I'm thinking it will reach 1000 as a couple more bidders have stepped in. Often the bids will stay low to compensate for having to collect. I may well have myself what looks like a nice old production lathe. Then to figure out what all the parts are for and how to use it .