The dark one second from the right looks like it might be tungsten carbide, you'll find out when you go to sharpen it! (only diamond will work)

You'll definitely want to use handles with them; pinvices work well, though it's nice to have dedicated handles. Daniels suggests drilling though a dowel rod so the graver is a friction fit, and pulling out more as needed. It would take a lot of turning to sharpen them frequently enough to shorten them noticeably. 

3 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

The dark one second from the right looks like it might be tungsten carbide, you'll find out when you go to sharpen it! (only diamond will work)

You'll definitely want to use handles with them; pinvices work well, though it's nice to have dedicated handles. Daniels suggests drilling though a dowel rod so the graver is a friction fit, and pulling out more as needed. It would take a lot of turning to sharpen them frequently enough to shorten them noticeably. 

I have a green grinding stone that i use for sharpening tungsten carbide drills. They are quite soft, if i remember rightly something to do with the renewing of the cutting edge of the stone as it sharpens. Thanks Nicklesilver, i have some dowel that came with some watchmakers files. What kind of quality do i have here.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...