Omega 620

OK, I know you all thought that I'd completely tossed it in - not true.

I've had this Omega 620 sitting around for months and due to my ineptness was afraid to ruin it...

...so this morning I took the hands and dial off as well as the hour wheel, gave it a wind and lo-and-behold it runs!

If I can clean it, get it back together and lube it (without losing pieces) maybe I'll have my first milestone?

running 620 - small.jpg

• Like 6

I picked up another omega 625 a couple months back after completing my first one ok, so when another came up on ebay i got a second one, the movement was flooded in oil, not working, when i removed the balance i knew someone had been playing as one of the pallet cock screws was missing, looking at the balance i knew it was the hairspring that was the problem and needed sorting.

I stripped, cleaned and reassemble the movement testing each stage as i went, all functioned ok, i knew it was never going to run due to the hairspring, i don't have a  microscope so don't think it's possible to straighten the hairspring, i can see the problems with the hairspring with a loupe but fixing it  with having to be so close with a loupe especially with my limited experience, how did pro watchmakers repair hairsprings before microscopes are there any tricks of the trade, i keep think i'm just going to have ago but don't want wreck it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...