Looking for guidance in replacing balance jewel on fairly obscure movement. (Reconvilier 120)

Hi! I'm looking for guidance regarding replacing a shattered balance jewel in an old Reconvilier 120 movement. (It's an old 11.5 ligne movement)

I don't have a spare 120 movement and sourcing one seems to be difficult (especially sourcing one that I know has a good bottom balance jewel)

There's limited information on this movement and I'm hoping to find a replacement jewel. 

Is this a situation where it's better to just keep an eye out and replace the whole bottom plate when I eventually find a donor movement or is there a reasonably efficient way to go about sourcing and replacing this jewel? I don't have very much experience with replacing jewels or using my jewel press yet but I'm trying to improve my knowledge. Thanks for any help you can provide!

PXL_20230116_144632735.jpg

PXL_20230116_144644906.jpg

PXL_20230116_144846000.jpg

20 hours ago, Max50916 said:

shattered balance jewe

I think you'll find that they never had a replacement jewel for something like this. That's Pressed in jewels all you need to do is find one that fits your pivot and That depends on how you answer the question below.

20 hours ago, Max50916 said:

jewel press

Do you have just the jewel of press or the complete set with the reamers? I'm attaching a book of the light reading. So in a jewel like this the easiest way to fix the problem would be to get a jewel that fits your balance pivots and the ideal fantasy would be you get one the exact size of the hole of the old jewel and just push the new one in. But seldom do you get that luxury so you would user Raymer to open it up a little bit to fit the modern jewel but no knows you might be lucky and just peel the press one in.

Seitz book.pdf

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2023 at 5:59 AM, JohnR725 said:

I think you'll find that they never had a replacement jewel for something like this. That's Pressed in jewels all you need to do is find one that fits your pivot and That depends on how you answer the question below.

Do you have just the jewel of press or the complete set with the reamers? I'm attaching a book of the light reading. So in a jewel like this the easiest way to fix the problem would be to get a jewel that fits your balance pivots and the ideal fantasy would be you get one the exact size of the hole of the old jewel and just push the new one in. But seldom do you get that luxury so you would user Raymer to open it up a little bit to fit the modern jewel but no knows you might be lucky and just peel the press one in.

Seitz book.pdf 3.68 MB · 2 downloads

I do have the reamers (well most of them, a few of them are broken) so this may be my next quest! Thank you for the help!

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2023 at 10:59 AM, JohnR725 said:

Seitz book.pdf 3.68 MB · 4 downloads

This manual is fantastic. Thanks for sharing

Edited by ScrewDropper