Banner day - totally green learner accomplishes first rough assembly of ST36 watch build

I'm pretty stoked!

I finally gathered all the parts I needed to case up an import ST36 movement I purchased for purposes of learning how to service. Here's a quick photo of what I've got: (protective plastic still attached to crystals)

e1.thumb.jpg.dde5737ea4978b3f20a2516ec7346c32.jpg f1.thumb.jpg.5385d1dda62837fb14e72f187472f9f3.jpg

For whatever reason, I really like the 9:00 small seconds location.

I just had elbow surgery so I had to mostly put this together with one hand and one baseball bat stub. But I was still able to cobble it together. It is of course not a finished product and I haven't serviced it yet either (I suspect it's about bone dry for one thing).

So I call this phase one I guess. I kinda like how it looks for a $75 watch. Purchased crown isn't shown but the stem needs clipped anyway so no sense messing with that yet.

I don't think I'm gonna try servicing this thing until I add a second arm back into my life. But the one-handed thing was an interesting and honestly a relaxing procedure for practicing patience and caution, which doesn't hurt at my skill level.

So first big toe in the water of touching an actual watch. Am I on a decent track here?

Edited by Vinito
  • Like 8

• Vinito changed the title to Banner day - totally green learner accomplishes first rough assembly of ST36 watch build

Well I had patience while I was literally single-handedly casing that movement and it was nothing but pleasure. But today I'm really feeling that life sucks because I want to fiddle with it further but can't because there's a 10lb ham attached to one shoulder.
I'd watch videos instead to tide me over, but I think I've seen them all. I guess I don't have patience after all.

Waaah! 😭

Edited by Vinito
  • Like 1

Well I'm halfway to freedom. My left arm gets released this Friday and I swear, from time to time a feeling washes over me like my arm is locked inside solitary confinement and goes a little insaney. This only lasts for a few minutes and goes away, but I'm sure looking forward to being let out of this cast thing.

I'm not sure how well all my connector bits will be functioning once released, but it has to be better than this strait jacket.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...