Kranky Veteran in the Bluegrass State U.S.A.

ejlesher

Greetings all; brand new to this hobby - meaning I haven't even taken a watch/clock apart yet (other than the back plate, which I promptly put back on saying to myself "WTF am I thinking")...I am originally from the great State of Texas, but have since lived over half my current years on mother earth around the U.S. and abroad with the Army - so where am I from - the most recent place that has a good pub, beer and bourbon, cigars and people of course!

I live in Lexington, KY; home of the best spirit in the world, Bourbon, horses, and the University of Kentucky Wildcats; I graduated from University of the Incarnate Word, San Antonio, Texas and my wife from the University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL (RTR...if you know, you know).

I retired from the U.S. Army back in 2018 and have moved around a good bit trying to find a good foothold, and since retiring put one of my loves on hold until my wife and I find our 'forever' place (wondering if this is ever going to happen) which has required me to put one of my great tinkering past-times to the side - fixing old clunkers...no not classic cars, I've never had that kinda loot.

Anyway, since most of today's tele programming is complete garbage, I have found refuge in the YouTube netherworld and found videos on watchmaking / restoration...Houston we may have a problem...

After discussing with my wife, she has agreed to allow me limited reign to pursue and engage in this activity.

So here I am...scared to death of an old Seiko Automatic 7009 8079; 17 jewel 7009A movement just larger than the size of a quarter (25 cent piece for those unfamiliar with USD); I have already spent close to $200 USD on basic cheap watchmaking tools and I am pretty sure I am not even close to ready to tear it apart (again...WTF am I thinking).  Well going to give it my best shot and see if this will truly sate my need to tinker and repair until we find our forever home and I can get back into things with parts I can actually see with these crusty eyeballs.  

I hope 2023 finds everyone safe and well with many blessings!

Ev