Bestfit books information. Interchangable calibres

Eyup you lovely people , hoping you are all well.  I have a little question here if anyone can kindly answer for me. After sorting out a large stack of balance staffs i decided to research calibre interchangeability to see how far my stock could take me. A good source for this comes from the Bestfit books, quite surprised at how common interchange is. But a brand/abbreviation that cropped up regularly, in fact in possibly 70 % of makers was BM. Can anyone answer if this is in fact a brand abbreviation such as Bidlingmaier or for something else ?

5 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

70 % of makers was BM.

It's a secret code somewhere in the book it should actually explain what the secret code means.

Or it could mean something else it's not a secret code it's trying to communicate something to you like? So I highlighted the secret code numbers and then the other column I marked the numbers.

So basically what the book is trying to tell you is what the base caliber is for the particular watch. Or it may actually translate to the words base model or watch the model is based upon or something equivalent to that.

best fit secret code.JPG

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

It's a secret code somewhere in the book it should actually explain what the secret code means.

Or it could mean something else it's not a secret code it's trying to communicate something to you like? So I highlighted the secret code numbers and then the other column I marked the numbers.

So basically what the book is trying to tell you is what the base caliber is for the particular watch. Or it may actually translate to the words base model or watch the model is based upon or something equivalent to that.

best fit secret code.JPG

Ah thank you John, a bit confusing with it alongside actual brand caliber numbers. I had an an idea that might be the case as it cropped up so often. I have probably missed an explanation for that somewhere or it was maybe in the abbreviation chart at the beginning.  Now looking for it 🙂. Still not had a smiley face from you John 🙂 please.

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

best fit secret code.JPG

Found it. Thanks John exactly where you said it was ,i missed it at the beginning # basic model #. Great source of information when looking for movement parts