So I'm working on a basketcase mumbai special frankenseiko, and fortunately it came with a strap I wasn't particularly fond of. I say fortunately, because I've had to cut the blasted thing off. For the life of me I cannot get the spring bars out. Even with the strap forcefully removed I'm still probably going to resort to cutting the bars.

Even with the outer bar pushed all the way to one side I've got less than 1mm of internal bar visible.

IMG_20221101_182715.jpg.32eef96e5a5cb7f7abe2c6ba921f4ee3.jpg

Either I suck at removing spring bars, or surgery is inevitable.

22 hours ago, lexacat said:

So I'm working on a basketcase mumbai special frankenseiko, and fortunately it came with a strap I wasn't particularly fond of. I say fortunately, because I've had to cut the blasted thing off. For the life of me I cannot get the spring bars out. Even with the strap forcefully removed I'm still probably going to resort to cutting the bars.

Even with the outer bar pushed all the way to one side I've got less than 1mm of internal bar visible.

IMG_20221101_182715.jpg.32eef96e5a5cb7f7abe2c6ba921f4ee3.jpg

Either I suck at removing spring bars, or surgery is inevitable.

Sometimes they are just very tight. Probably forced in. 

37 minutes ago, lexacat said:

Thanks, I figured as much. I've bought a large assortment of new spring bars online so I'll be cutting these off.

A Dremel tool with a slitting blade does the job nicely.  Be sure to control the tool to avoid catching the case. A better option, i personally mount my Dremel in a drill holder and feed the case in. Two shallow cuts are better as one full cut the blade can grap the cut ends of the bar and throw them. I lean away from using pliers as they can potentially push the cut ends beyond their spring and damage the lugs. I say Potentially, it only takes it to happen once and you may end up with a broken lug.

2 hours ago, Klassiker said:

Cutting it out is the only option.

You could always slip a nato strap through.

16 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  Have you removed the strap (cut it off) that way you get a clear view of the spring bars. There is always the off chance they are of the fixed type and cuttin them off without looking puts you in an awkward position.

Heya watchweasol, yeah I cut off the strap, it was a cheap POS anyway so I'm not too worried about it. I don't think it's a fixed type of bar, it's just a terrible cheap one that has no way of being removed. At the end of the day it's alright, I'm not sure this movement will make its way back into this particular case at this stage anyway, but I have new spring bars on the way in case.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lexacat said:

Heya watchweasol, yeah I cut off the strap, it was a cheap POS anyway so I'm not too worried about it. I don't think it's a fixed type of bar, it's just a terrible cheap one that has no way of being removed. At the end of the day it's alright, I'm not sure this movement will make its way back into this particular case at this stage anyway, but I have new spring bars on the way in case.

I had one similar a week ago. There was barely any space against the lug. I had to use the sharp end of a craft knife to release it. 

• Like 1