Identify this pocketwatch

Hi guys,

I inherited this pocketwatch from my great grandfather, who got this watch sometime between WW1 and WW2. He bought it in Denmark and I was hoping someone might be able to tell me more about this pocketwatch (model brand etc).

I tried a watch repair service, but they had no idea what it was and were unable to work on it

Thanks in advance 

IMG_2326 (1).jpg

IMG_2325 (1).jpg

IMG_2324 (1).jpg

IMG_2323 (1).jpg

IMG_2322 (1).jpg

IMG_2321 (1).jpg

IMG_2320 (1).jpg

IMG_2319 (1).jpg

Hey Jack,

It would be really helpful if you could:

1. Get a better/closer photo of the area I have circled in red below.
  2. Provide the diameter of the movement.

The mark that I have circled could be a maker's mark. The movement diameter will be a factor.

There would be other things that a watchmaker would look at that would require some additional disassembly. However it is possible that having a better photo of the mark and knowing the movement diameter will be enough. It is also possible that one of the more senior members will recognize the movement and will have an answer for you.

pocket.jpg

I can't make out the cipher, maybe a G, maybe an S, maybe neither.

However, the movement looks like a version of the Alpina 18''' H6.1 as overviewed here:

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Alpina 18'''H6.1 (ranfft.de) but you may need to copy and paste this into your browser. 

Regards.

Edited by balaton

On 9/18/2022 at 2:21 PM, KarlvonKoln said:

Being a pin-set (produced before lever-set) I'd hazard a guess at 1870s to early 1880a when they were most common.  It's possible that it could be from the late 1860's but not as likely.

Based on the modern movement design, pressed in jewels, white hairspring, Arabic letters and oval chain ring I would date this watch to 1920 - 1925.

http://mikrolisk.de/dateyourwatch/

Edited by Kalanag

11 minutes ago, Kalanag said:

Based on the modern movement design, pressed in jewels, white hairspring, Arabic letters and oval chain ring I would date this watch to 1920 - 1925.

You must have Eagle's eyes 🙂
I can see neither a white hairspring nor pressed-in jewels.

Frank