AS 960 - Missing winding stem

Picked up a job-lot few weeks back that had this interesting fixed lug case watch.  Inside I found an AS 960 with  missing winding stem.   Found one from a seller in Portugal.  Part arrived today and now I'm testing the time keeping.  Besides the stem, I have replaced the crystal that was very yellow.  Next up I think I will attempt a nickel plating.   

300429614_2914429798853652_3027373197553212461_n.jpg

300778793_637681587870040_8486420168302906239_n.jpg

300511291_467378898356778_809381253374987079_n.jpg

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

Hi JerseyMo

i bought recently a watch 1935 circa with exactly this movement . i will receive it by a week or two.

the seller said was serviced  recently but im worry that is a delicate movement after all these decade..

your work properly ? 

DAN71

Edited by DAN71
complete usarname

6 hours ago, DAN71 said:

the seller said was serviced  recently but im worry that is a delicate movement after all these decade..

one of the problems with the word serviced especially when purchasing off of eBay for instance what exactly does serviced mean?

in other words your purchasing a watch off of eBay and they claimed it was serviced and you get it at a bargain price may be your definition and their definition isn't exactly the same thing of being serviced.

Then as far as delicate all watches could be considered delicate. Especially if you drop them on the floor they don't like that at all. But as long as they've and properly serviced haven't been exposed to rust for instance they will last an extremely long time.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&AS_960

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

yes, it works just fine

Very exhaustive thank you !

@JohnR725i have already bought from this seller and is not from eBay.

he really do a service to his watches or at least the first watch that I received was serviced 

Yes I saw the page on ranfft mine was like the bottom one .

but my question is about a movement with only one jewelry and with 80years if can be problematic 

I have a medana with 5 jewelry and work fine .
But a cilinder movement ( the seller named it in this way)with only one jewelry is the first one ..

my experience is if somebody has a concern about something then listened to your concern and don't purchase the watch. I find that when people have concerns about things not just watches but things in life those are the things that will plague you in your life and then definitely don't purchase things that you think are going to be problematic because for you it probably will be.

Then what would be the point of a seller servicing a watch if it's worn out and doesn't work at all?

then to really answer the rest your question we can't. A lot of it depends upon the individual watch if you take any mechanical timepiece and you run it forever with no servicing it will disintegrate with time and that even includes Rolex watches. I've seen Rolex watches were there happily running their watches for years with no servicing until it stops and then they discover that a whole bunch of stuff as basically disintegrated plus the gaskets disintegrate rust gets in the rust is a heck of a good grinding compound so a repair that would've been hundreds of dollars now becomes thousands of dollars. So any watch will disintegrate with time if it's continuously running with absolute no servicing.

some of vintage become interesting in that the early lubricants were organic inorganic lubricants have a habit of getting sticky with time is a lot of really old watches just came to a stop because of their sticky oil and a proper servicing will restore them back to running condition. That's a minor problem with modern synthetic oils they don't get sticky with time and people run their watches right into the ground not aware of the problem with all. In fact there very happy about not paying for servicing of the watch and how well it runs until it's too late.

then usually lower account jewels in a watch is we usually lower quality. But a lot of times lower quality watches like Timex for instance were actually designed quite well and have a very long life because are made with incredibly broad tolerances. The problem with the discussion here is it just depends upon the particular watch but typically on low jewel count lower quality watches don't expect them to keep super good time. But anything beyond that we can't answer because it depends upon the history of the particular watch. Maybe for the last 75 years it's been sitting in a drawer someplace not running at all in other words it's in mint condition. Or somebody's with the wearing of the last whatever and it's totally worn out but if that's the case why would somebody service the watch to sell it because it's not going to run a.

• Thanks 1

John interesting point your philosophy approach to watches and in life .

maybe you are right , but for me is exactly the contrary because I buy watches really for distracting myself from other problem, it is a thing that keep me calm in spite of sometimes they have issue or are problematic

but I’m not complain about it, I try only to understand how to solve it 

When will arrive the watch I can open a 3d for show the watch and movement .

tks

• 10 months later...

How promised

pics of the watch . the movement is stated how serviced by the seller . is only a little erratic sometime in advance sometime lose time. 

Screenshot2024-01-22alle14_44_40.thumb.png.6ec5460a34684f8fd5a52783391295c1.png

Screenshot 2024-01-22 alle 14.44.47.png

Screenshot 2024-01-22 alle 14.44.59.png

Edited by DAN71
  • Like 1