I started working on watches the backwards way.  Bought tools and bench and supplies WITHOUT tinkering first.  Then bought a series of videos put out by a gentleman on Pocket Watch repair/ rebuild, service etc….  Well known dvds.  Didn’t realize when I purchased them that they are ALL about pocket watches.  Fussee movements and all.  Though they have been a help, there are tons of gaps in his teaching.  Plus he never says you need a good, working pocket watch to be a part of the videos.  He teaches by taking apart, cleaning, and rebuilding a working movement.  With the dozen movements I have coming, I am hoping to dig in and get some repaired.  I also just bought out a large vintage watch part lot.  Still sealed in factory packs.  Crystals to Complete Omega 3 wheel sets.  I’m excited.  Also like someone’s “watch breaker” comment 🤣

I’m finding by fiddling with the crown while front is open, I can get the movement to drop down enough to see the battery.  I haven’t committed yet to actually pulling.  I haven’t run across another so don’t want to break the movement.  If this model was the cheap throw away, then I am assuming the stem and crown are original to the watch.  I just can’t bring myself to start yanking.  I can’t believe this exact model sold in 69’ for $110.00 🤣

Alright.  Took the plunge and put some real force on the stem.  As you can see, it IS a split stem.  I am impressed by how clean it looks.  Thank you again for all the suggestions and input.  I will post my progress in it as I go.  

image.jpg

• Like 3

Update!  Finally got the battery needed for the movement, and is running superbly.  Dial has a few chips off the paint, the case is still rough, but cleaned up nicely.  Crystal is not in the best of shape, but personally believe it’s original. Also found an old magazine ad that touted this model as Wylers first delve into electronic watches.  Not sure if I am reading it correctly.  Sold for 110 dollars in 1969.   If anyone could confirm or deny Ide be greatly thankful.  

DCA57CEA-E103-4504-97D3-F3EB1C2D286F.jpeg

• Like 1