Mainspring Issue.

Hi all,

This is my first post. I did introduce myself briefly a few weeks ago. Just to repeat, I am a complete novice at watch repairs and very much on a learning curve. I have encountered a problem whilst tinkering with an old Sekonda watch with a Raketa Calibre 2609HA. I've stripped it down for cleaning etc including the mainspring. I have managed to rewind the mainspring back into the barrel with a mainspring winder (winding in a clockwise direction). When I came to replace the arbor I realised that the spring was the wrong way round.

Am I correct, is the spring lefthand in this calibre? If so is there an easy remedy because left hand winders don't seem readily available.

I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

Regards, Richard

Hi Richard, your easiest bet is to hand wind it.

Having said that, the last left handed I wound using a right hand winder. Fit the spring onto the arbor and locate on the case of the spring winder. Now start winding slowly and feed in the spring with your other hand instead of pulling it in with the winder alone. If you are careful you will be able to feed it all the way into the winder, then fit the spring into the barrel as normal.

Give it a try and let us know how you get on.

Get yourself a large steel or brass washer, big enough for the hole to be slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the mainspring barrel.

Wind the mainspring into your winder, left handed or right handed, it doesn't matter.

Install the mainspring into the hole in the washer.

Transfer mainspring from washer to barrel as you would a new mainspring.

Save yourself a fortune by equipping yourself with a good selection of large washers.

• Like 5

Thanks very much everyone for the ideas and comments. I have tried the washer idea and I've gone from thinking in terms of saving for ages for a three figure Bergeon something, to completing the task easily, quickly and very cheaply. It was a great idea, thanks Marc, much appreciated. 

Regards Richard.