Atmos clock opportunity...needs repair...value??

Another update on this baby.

It is still running fast and I have the regulator full tilt to SLOW.  In reading the book, I see that there is additional adjustment that can be made using a special tool...or a homemade version of the tool.  I plan to study this further.

I think it is out of beat, but I do not believe that is causing the running fast.

This clock scares me.  It seems so delicate.  Perhaps that is surprising, since have I have been hell bent for reshaping hairsprings (seemingly monumental challenge), but the difference here is that I do not have the functioning model of how the Atmos works in my head.  Hairsprings, on the other hand--the concepts are pretty clear to me (regarding reshaping).

When I teach the art of troubleshooting (problem solving), which I have done in the field of electronics, I stress the importance of modeling the system.  Without a clear and concise model, the troubleshooting process is simply poking and hoping.  I admit, with some embarrassment, that I am only slightly past the poking and hoping.

The free length of the spring defines the beat rate. To get the beat rate into the ballpark you have to loosen the screw, pull the tapered pin that holds the upper end of the spring and give or take some spring length. Then retighten.

46DF1042-2A52-4186-938D-5D251EC420EA.thumb.jpeg.e5e3329bd469129e20b4f6fb57d25ca4.jpeg

Edited by Kalanag
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 1:52 PM, LittleWatchShop said:

and it claimed to be running

the problem is especially on eBay definition of it appears to be running is that it may have run like a watch for about five minutes in other words I held it in my hand I see it is running the definition now is its running. The case of one of these clocks well you can manually wind it up doesn't need to have a functional tank and I can't remember how long it will run on one winding but it's quite some time.

then the servicing one of these you really do need the technical information.  there are some special tools that be nice to have. There is knowledge you need like did you know the pallet fork is supposed to be poised? They're not super complicated if you understand what you're doing if you do everything right they will run seemingly forever.

4 hours ago, Kalanag said:

May I ask why you don‘t adjust the spring length?

Fear!

I still may do that, but I don’t want to ga backwards. Yesterday, I was finishing a 400 day, slipped and broke the spring. Easy to fix, but demonstrates that even simple operations can go bad.

i agree, lengthening the spring is the right thing to do.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...