Atmos clock opportunity...needs repair...value??

I see an Atmos clock on FB marketplace a couple of hours from my home.  Owner admits that the bellows probably need replacing.

Here is a picture.  He is asking $500.  I think I should get a better deal.  Thoughts?

I remember working on one of these for my dad but that was over 50 years ago.

atmos.jpg

• Like 1

I picked it up this morning. The only abuse appears to be the delicate fork horns that engage with the roller.  It was squeezed together so as not to engage the roller.  I spread the horns so that it would and adjusted its position so that the guard pin did not rub against anything.

Seems that there is some power on the train, but it is not running.  I will have to do some studying and get some education before going any further.

I repaired my fathers Atmos 25 years ago based on a VHS video tutorial by clockmaker Tony Montefusco (Florida) with whom I had an email correspondence. The video is available on Youtube meanwhile but still has the terrible VHS image quality. 

Edited by Kalanag
  • Like 1

Hi LWS    The atmos clock was a clever invention  and from what I have read on the subject requires a thorough understanding of how it works, the bellows being the delicate part. There is a site the Atmosman (Michael P Murray) and also a repair manual on Amazon £29   Good Luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I spread the horns so that it would and adjusted its position so that the guard pin did not rub against anything.

BUT. whenever this was bent in the past, it also was twisted so that when it hit the banking pin (the one by the roller, not the anchor) before the escape wheel tooth could escape.  I have done another adjustment to solve this problem.  Now the escape wheel is exiting more or less correctly.  I will report back later...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

@HectorLooi: I read the thread where you were pursuing an Atmos.  You said you ordered some repair manuals.  Did you get them?  Were they useful?

I just ordered this book.  This Atmos may be a one off event for me...dunno...but I will learn, regardless

2022-07-09 15_10_34-Window.png

The manuals came in a CD format. I haven't read any of it yet. I only made sure that the disc was readable.

I'm still waiting for a bargain to appear but it looks like all the Atmos clocks on eBay are getting sold for above $500.

Someone has worked on this clock before.  The roller spring is not a perfect helix--was goobered up during previous repair I guess.  I have not figured out what that spring does.  Give me some time!!  I will figure it out.  The first rule of troubleshooting is to model the system...gotta do that.

It continues to run but fast.  The regulator was full tilt to FAST, so I started moving it toward SLOW.  At some point, it seems, the clock then goes quite slow.  Strange.  I do not understand how the regulator works on this clock, so I have to educate myself. 

On 7/9/2022 at 2:59 PM, LittleWatchShop said:

@HectorLooi: I read the thread where you were pursuing an Atmos.  You said you ordered some repair manuals.  Did you get them?  Were they useful?

I just ordered this book.  This Atmos may be a one off event for me...dunno...but I will learn, regardless

2022-07-09 15_10_34-Window.png

Reading this yesterday. It says "don't turn hands ccw."

Now you tell me. I have nudged it backwards a few times as I have been regulating it. Looking at the center wheel design I cannot see the harm this would cause.

Thoughts?

26 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Thoughts?

I don't know anything about atmos clocks but i am sure no damage was done. 

Sometimes these warnings are decided by someone which knows less but takes the extra caution because it's free. If damage was possible they would have placed a protection against it. 

It also reminds me of a discussion with someone very knowledgeable about setting time backward on a watch:

Statement: never do that, as may damage the escapement.

My observation: besides that my Seiko, as millions of others, takes no damage in setting it backwards, (actually can make it run backwards for many seconds), what about my other watch that hacks seconds on setting? It is just so convenient when going one hour back for legal time.

Answer: none given. 

Edited by jdm
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I got the book by Rod Lloyd today.  Skimmed it quickly and did not get enlightenment on how the regulator actual regulates.  Still scratching my head.  Maybe I missed it...will review again.

If I remember correctly the regulator moves the regulating sleeve up or down to lengthen or shorten the active length of the spring.

Edited by Kalanag
  • Like 1