Talk to me about TAG Heuer Hands

Hi all.

Looking for a little advice with the removal of TAG Heuer Hands.

I just averted a bit of a disaster with a TAG Aquaracer I was servicing. I got to the stage where I was about to remove the cannon Pinion and found it would not easily lift off and on closer inspection I found the second hand tube still on the pinion.  I used the usual method to remove the hands, that is placing a plastic bag over the hands and lifting them off with hand levers.  I know there can be issues with the hands on their chronographs but these where the standard hour, minutes & seconds hand.

Was I just unlucky or are their seconds hands known to have the same issues as their chronograph hands ?

Fortunately I was able to reattach the tube to the seconds hand with my Chinese staking set so disaster avoided.

Should I be getting one of those chronograph hand tools for future TAGs or was I just unlucky.

Thanks.

Paul

I experienced this very issue a few years ago with a Brietling Chronograph.. After many attempts to rectify I purchased a new genuine Brietling hand at great expense from Australia. There is now hand removing tools that are supposed to elevate pressure on the watch hand pipe for this issue. I believe our Mark uses one. 

8D2F27A7-1110-4273-987B-AF7741C8C032.jpeg.7100284771bd63a4f3db9a4cae500a35.jpeg 

Edited by clockboy

Yep, that the tool I mentioned.

I know the sub dial hands on some watches including TAG and the Chronograph seconds hands are so tight they need this tool to safely remove them but didn't think the same applied to their standard 3 hand non chronograph watches as well. Even in Marks video linked above he didn't seem to have too much trouble removing them with hand leavers.

Are their standard second hand known to be super tight as well or was I just unlucky with the first TAG I encountered ?

Thanks