Seiko 4843-8100 movement/dial removal

I need to deep clean my 4843-8100, i got the case back off and the stem out, but the movement won't budge, the few movements I've removed before has all pretty much just fallen out. What am I missing?

You're right about the deep clean!  It could just be wedged by gunk.

The case code on the back should tell you how to open it.  Take a look at the dial. If it's larger than the opening on the back then that's a pretty good sign it's supposed to go out the front.

• Like 1

I cant seem to find a case guide for this movement, but i did find this:

http://akiyose.com/battery-exchange/seiko/grand/grand4843-8050-1.html

It is the earlier A version of the movement, but it looks similar.

unfortunatly it does not show how to remove dial and movement, but it looks like he did it through the back. 

i also found this

https://seikoserviceusa.com/uploads/datasheets/4823A.pdf

If i am not mistaken its the king quartz version.

It looks like this is the ring holding the movement:

ring.jpg

It probably predates the case type being put on the back, which Seiko started doing in 1978.  They used to list each case number in the casing guide book, but you'd have to find one new enough for your watch to be in it but not so new they case number index is gone.  So probably not going to happen.

The one in the first link must have come out the back.  The dial looks no larger, or maybe even smaller, than the movement spacer ring.  And on the photos looking into the empty case, you can clearly see the diameter is smaller on the front.  Which is typical Seiko construction for a watch like this.

I think that ring is just gunked into place.  The probably fits around the movement, and might have a flange the fits between the movement and the dial.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, xyzzy said:

It probably predates the case type being put on the back, which Seiko started doing in 1978.  They used to list each case number in the casing guide book, but you'd have to find one new enough for your watch to be in it but not so new they case number index is gone.  So probably not going to happen.

The one in the first link must have come out the back.  The dial looks no larger, or maybe even smaller, than the movement spacer ring.  And on the photos looking into the empty case, you can clearly see the diameter is smaller on the front.  Which is typical Seiko construction for a watch like this.

I think that ring is just gunked into place.  The probably fits around the movement, and might have a flange the fits between the movement and the dial.

Figured it out, The ring was supposed to be "un screwed", but it was sort of rusted shut. I proceeded with some "mild persuasion" and now its out. Now i just have to figure out how to get the ring lose so that i can take an angle grinder to it... Suspect the dial have to come of from the movement.

Edited by jpg