Goliath pocket watch project

Hello everybody,I am a total novice and my current project is an extremely large goliath pocket watch 105mm dia.It was a wreck when I got it for very little money and I am learning from fiddling with it.Ive found out the bottom balance staff pin is broken,as its obviously been dropped,which caused its demise,.Anyway I think it's an omega ?,not to sure,but im trying to find out the calibre number so I can try and get a replacement staff for it and then maybe fit it to the balance wheel.Would any of you nice people be able to point me in the right direction please.

20220512_223737.jpg

20220517_212154.jpg

20220517_212237.jpg

20220517_212305.jpg

35 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

It would also be nice to have the diameter of the movement measured on the dial side and a picture of the movement on the dial side without the dial we need to see the setting components.

OK many thanks,I'll get another pic when I get back from work.

Well that is very interesting indeed,from what I have read,there are 3 x sizes in omega golieth watches 27'''  40'''  & 60''',does this sound correct,forgive me if I'm getting confused,any idea how I can determine which size watch I have here,of course I may be reading this wrong,as I am only an enthusiastic amateur.thankyou very much for the link 

Regards dan

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• £10.00 is not a huge amount for a watch these days with the increased asking prices. Let’s count ourselves lucky we don’t have this for tools, it would be £404.00 🤪   Tom
    • I have the perfect solution for this, i just dont invite anyone round.
    • @rossjackson01 it's only getting harder and harder to get 'cheap' watches to work on, I have done some reading and depending on the source the prices of vintage watches is increasing somewhere between 10% and 50% a year. The only way I have found to get watches to lay the 404 game with is to buy a bulk lot say 10 with an average price of < £4.04 but even that is getting harder and harder, hence the re-boot. I see that £6.99 is looking like a popular choice - but I ask the members, is £6.99 realistic, can you actually find watches to work on for £6.99 - maybe its better to cut to the chase and jump to £10.10 for example and allow more people to play? Jut a thought.
    • Here's a little more to add from an old book that contains articles from Emil Borer once head of Rolex's technical department and designer of their movements at Rolex's factory ( which apparently they had but not really until the early 2000s )  so i guess the mislead publisher meant Eagler's factory 😅
    • I really like the idea of the 404. However I've yet to be able to manage to obtain any watch for that little. I do have some free quartz ones. I'm not that skilled. Mechanical for me.  I have managed to obtain a number of watches for under £40.   What about an extra 40 club. $, £ etc. I could at least participate.