Upside Down?

Solster

Hi All,

So things are progressing slowly but surely with my Smiths Enfield movement learnings! It's certainly a voyage of discovery. Thing is, I've somehow managed to get the half hour chime to strike on the hour and vice versa. No idea how I did it, but I can't work out how to get it back to how it should be.

Oldhippy, you kindly offered support, so can you or anyone else advise me on this please?

Thanks in advance.

John.

Sorry for the delay! Yep, here it is, but I have to say that it's not been dismantled (too much for me I fear), it's as it was when it was working okay! I've been mostly working my way through the mechanism seeing how each part interacts with the others. I seem to have somehow knocked it out of kilter and can't work out how to get it back! Hope you can see something.

Regards - John. 

SMITHS ENFIELD.jpg

Hi John  whats th problem that you have with it at the moment, not rtunning , strike off,  chime off. If you could elaborate matbe we can point you in the right direction.  I have enclosed a picture of a front plate with all the terminology  and a picture of an enfield front plate for comparison 

Hermle Chime Mvt front.sm.jpg

smiths enfield front plate.jpg

Hi, thanks for your reply watchweasol, and for the diagram - very helpful for me!

It's a bit strange (to me anyway) really, everything is working okay apart from the hour is chiming at the half hour setting and the half hour chimes on the hour? It was working the right way round before I started playing with it! Nothing has been dismantled. I've fiddled and tinkered with the different levers etc, but I just can't get it to go back to how it should be.

I'm thinking there must be a set of steps to follow to correct it, but I've tried turning back the time and holding the levers up, but all to no avail.

Any help and guidance appreciated.

Thanks - John

The movement you posted is not a chime, it's a strike. It should strike on the hour and it strikes 1 on the half hour. When it strikes on the hour, put the hour hand and minute hand on so the minute hand points to 12. When it strikes the half hour the minute hand will be pointing at six on the dial. Don't bother with the chime as its not the movement you have and it might confuse you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi the sequence of events is, the center cam (two lobes) one for strike (longer) and the shorter one for the 1/2 hr.  as the cam turns the longer lobe lifts the long lever and puts the clock into warning (warning wheel rotates and locks) then as the cam rotates it drops the long lever and initiates the strike. The same sequence operates on the 1/2hr but the long lever is not lifted so high. warning then lock then release.  As Old Hippy said move the hands to initiate the strike (hour) take of the hands and re fit for the correct strike count. Now move the hands to the 1/2 hr position and it should strike the 1/2 hr then back to the hour and it should strike the hour.  as said this is a two train clock  one going and one strike.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks both, I've sussed it! I think you were telling me this, but it didn't register properly until the different sized lobes were mentioned - I simply took the minute hand off and repositioned it through 180 degrees. They are non-original hands that didn't come with the clock and I hadn't realised there was a right and wrong way to put the minute one on. Lesson learned!

Your guidance has been really helpful - thanks again.

John.

• Like 1

That is good news. Have a go at a few more striking clock movements that way you will build up your confidence if possible a slightly different movement a German one would be a recommendation from me  or a Smiths floating balance.  Good luck, we are always here to help.  

• Like 1

Thanks oldhippy, I would likely go for similar Smiths one next I think as I'm starting to get to know them a bit now! However, as my source is charity shops and antique stalls etc it could end up being anything. 

Just one more thing on the current project if I may - I've put the movement back in it's case now to see how it runs. It's not perfect, but getting there - but one thing that puzzles me is that both the hour and half hour chimes occur exactly one minute late. Is this normal or should it be bang on the hour/half hour? And if it needs adjusting how is that done?

Thanks - John. 

Many of the minute hands on these clocks are fitted with a friction tight square center and they become loose, so the clock appears to strike slightly off the hour or half hour. There is a tool you can buy which is a waste of money. What I always did is use one of my square needle files and hold it in my bench vice so it points upward put the minute hand over the file and move it slightly to the correct passion. Be very careful not to bend the hand and check first that it is friction tight and not just a bent minute hand. When in the correct passion just give it a few taps with your bench hammer so it doesn’t move again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1