Need help removing case back

I recently found an Orvin dive watch at a garage sale for $10. I need to remove the case back so I can service the watch, but I'm having trouble getting it off. I can't tell if it is a screw down or a press on case back. I'm assuming it's a screw down since it's a dive watch and I don't see any indents for me to get a tool to remove a press on back. However, I tried to unscrew it with the rubber ball and a cheap jaxa tool, with no luck. I found someone on eBay selling the same watch (that's where the pictures are from), and I asked them how they got the back off, but they never responded.

Assuming it is a screw down back, how should I get it off? I saw some people on another forum recommending a Bergeon 5700-z with a suction cup attachment, but that is way outside my price range. There is a clone of the 5700 for about $150 although it doesn't have a suction cup. Do you think that would do the trick?

s-l500 (3).jpg

s-l500 (2).jpg

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l500.jpg

1 hour ago, MarcusD said:

I recently found an Orvin dive watch at a garage sale for $10. I need to remove the case back so I can service the watch, but I'm having trouble getting it off. I can't tell if it is a screw down or a press on case back. I'm assuming it's a screw down since it's a dive watch and I don't see any indents for me to get a tool to remove a press on back. However, I tried to unscrew it with the rubber ball and a cheap jaxa tool, with no luck. I found someone on eBay selling the same watch (that's where the pictures are from), and I asked them how they got the back off, but they never responded.

Assuming it is a screw down back, how should I get it off? I saw some people on another forum recommending a Bergeon 5700-z with a suction cup attachment, but that is way outside my price range. There is a clone of the 5700 for about $150 although it doesn't have a suction cup. Do you think that would do the trick?

s-l500 (3).jpg

s-l500 (2).jpg

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l500.jpg

Maybe a caseback spanner for this ?. I use one of these instead matey , not had a caseback beat me yet with it 

16515186260272398640527290305853.jpg

2 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Maybe a caseback spanner for this ?. I use one of these instead matey , not had a caseback beat me yet with it 

16515186260272398640527290305853.jpg

Are you sure the back comes off. Check throughly that there is a seam. I had a Lucerne,  Swiss make that had a back very similar to this. It was a false back and came out of the front. Maybe different to the others you've seen 🤷‍♂️

You need one of these , or similar.

On second thought, you need more than just the back opener if you are a beginner.  You need something to hold the movement with while twisting the back wrench.  Adjust very carefully so that you have good contact on all three claws.  Remove the band, mount the watch in the vise.  Then adjust the wrench to fit snugly, press down and turn counter clockwise.  This kit should get you started.

2022-05-02 14_47_56-Watch OPENER Tool Back Band Case Repair Kit Screw Cover Remover & 1 LR44 BATTERY.png

kit.png

BTW... I have this watch in my collection.

Edited by LittleWatchShop

9 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

You need one of these , or similar.

On second thought, you need more than just the back opener if you are a beginner.  You need something to hold the movement with while twisting the back wrench.  Adjust very carefully so that you have good contact on all three claws.  Remove the band, mount the watch in the vise.  Then adjust the wrench to fit snugly, press down and turn counter clockwise.  This kit should get you started.

2022-05-02 14_47_56-Watch OPENER Tool Back Band Case Repair Kit Screw Cover Remover & 1 LR44 BATTERY.png

kit.png

BTW... I have this watch in 

What he really needs are hands of steel with the grip of a silverback. Lol

16515216761982177855771605411073.jpg

If This truely a screw down back try the super glue method.  Glue a lange nut on the back and let it dry then take a spanner and turn the back off. The nut is easilly removed using acetone (nail varnish remover) and leaves no marks.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

If This truely a screw down back try the super glue method.  Glue a lange nut on the back and let it dry then take a spanner and turn the back off. The nut is easilly removed using acetone (nail varnish remover) and leaves no marks.

YES...this is an excellent method!!  I think I learned it from @watchweasoland have successfully used it multiple times. In some respects better than a wrench.  Invite @Neverenoughwatchesover for a beer and use his hand to hold the watch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LittleWatchShop said:

YES...this is an excellent method!!  I think I learned it from @watchweasoland have successfully used it multiple times. In some respects better than a wrench.  Invite @Neverenoughwatchesover for a beer and use his hand to hold the watch.

Haha. Dont drink, but I can eat for Great Britain. 

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

What he really needs are hands of steel with the grip of a silverback. Lol

16515216761982177855771605411073.jpg

If there are any  palm readers out there, how long have I got left please. 

19 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Ok, I'll give that a try and report back with my results. Thanks for the suggestion.

On 5/2/2022 at 3:31 PM, watchweasol said:

I finally had time to try this out and it worked great! Thanks for the help!

• Like 3