Jaeger-LeCoultre 889 successfully serviced

My JLC Heraion with caliber 889/1 needed a service. Having gained experience with several other (cheaper) watches I decided to try it myself. Being totally aware that I wouldn‘t get any spareparts if something might go wrong I was willing to let it serviced by JLC (about €800,-) if an accident should happen.

Preparing my work I found a technical guide for the partially identical 928/2 at cousinsuk and a workthroug by the WatchGuy (AP Royal Oak with JLC 889/1). I designed a movement holder with a free CAD program and 3D printed it with my Ender 3. This holder supports the movement much better than my vice type holders.

I didn‘t put me under time pressure in any way and just worked on the movement when I felt totally relaxed. A week later I had successfully disassembled the movement. Some screw hads unfortunately showed that I was not the first being inside this watch. The jewels of the fast reving wheels were totally dry and clean (!) showing that modern oils don‘t gum up but do eventually evaporate.

I successfully cleaned the parts in pharmaceutical petroleum ether 40/60 and One Dip. The escape wheel and the pallet fork got epilamed.

What happened to be the most challenging task was handling and oiling the super tiny capstones (0,9x0,12mm). One of them slipped out of my tweecers. My heart stood still for a moment. After hours of searching I gave up. I suspect the tiny particle landed on my clothes, skin or hair where it couldn‘t be seen. After some research I found that it is a standard KIF 508 which I could order with Boley. This time I was lucky 😀

For oiling the combined stones (fixed cap) of the escape wheel I found help in this forum.

Meanwhile the watch is ticking healthy again and shows good results on the time grapher.

83BE188C-DD1F-4E2D-B210-5AB542751DDF.jpeg

76B11057-65BC-4202-B497-7E38FE063BF1.jpeg

748C96E1-652B-4A9D-9B4E-7AAE4A7962C2.jpeg

F0C1991E-E0DF-4CC4-973F-F262EC79598F.jpeg

C191C126-1F29-4AED-A8E5-5331C531738E.jpeg

Edited by Kalanag
  • Like 5