Mesmorised - Sekonda Pocket Watch

Hi all,

I am still on the learning curve. After stripping and reassembling two pocket watch movements to understand how they work I bought a Sekonda hunter pocket watch with 3602 movement that didn't work. I started with a little fault finding.

1 - I removed the balance assy. and pallet cock

2 - I wound it a little and everything turned

3 - I cleaned and rebuilt and wound again, WOW it worked but seemed very lazy/the balance moved slowly.

I bought another Sekonda, open face railway watch not working, no number on the movement and the holes for the mounting screws were placed differently,otherwise the movement looked the same. I did the same fault finding and found that the balance wheel wobbled about indicating a possible damaged shaft.

1 - I removed the balance assemblies from this watch and the 3602

2 - I fitted the assembly from the 3602 movement and after aligning every thing and seating it carefully in place the balance wheel starting moving at a more acceptable pace until I did a final tightening. Loosen the screw and slightly pry the balance cock and it swung into action. I had cleaned the jewels with pegwood

and oiled.

Do you think that the parts may be slightly different?

When I was in mobile plant repair all parts had a number, easy peasy!

I think I may have to take the balance cock off a good open faced Sekonda pocket watch.

Best regards,

Gareth

The balance staff is slightly too long.

On the initial watch when the balance moved sluggishly, I would clean and oil it and maybe try the mainspring from the second watch.

Anil

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Here's a quick Gif I made to show truing the balance using callipers. This has such a slight wobble, but is within acceptable parameters. The important thing is the balance doesn't touch or rub anything when in operation. This is an Eterna Tank. Here's a pic of the balance freshly rivetted with a new staff in the movement
    • I just poked an inflation calculator, and $5 in 2020 would be about $6 in 2024. Doesn't fit very neatly into any status codes, which stop at 5XX, but that's honestly somewhat arbitrary outside of a clever pun for those that dabble in such things. Back during the pandemic, I would spend a good chunk of idle time in the evenings scanning through hundreds of listings a night, and I would only land 1-2 a week max. I would often go months without finding something suitable. A very small percentage of the watches in the price range are worth pulling the trigger on for my purposes. The number floating through the thread here may be somewhat deceptive.
    • Hi, guys I got there in the end after several attempts using a screwdriver and Rodico, I couldn't wait for the tool to arrive and was getting pretty confident handling the stud screw without it flying away. At first, I was using far too much Rodico, and then realized you only need the smallest amount inside the screw slot. Putting the cock back onto the movement also helped as it gave me more to hold onto while my shaky hand tried to align the screw wobbling away at the end of the screwdriver😁 Anyway, job done and I can move on. Thanks again for all the advice it's really appreciated for a beginner. 
    • I'd be interested in a copy of this book if anyone has one they'd like to sell  
    • You need to know at least the basics. Then the questions that You ask will begin to make sense. From what is seen on the video, the gear train and escapement look fine, but the balance doesn't rotate free. I can suppose that the thin gold colored shim that must stay under the balance cock is not in place.