Fitting a new waterproof crystal with Hytrel gasket

I am having a heck of a time trying to fit a new crystal with Hytrel gasket.  The old mineral crystal was 29.5mm, the full face opening of the watch is 30.30mm.  I have tried several gaskets and cant seem to fit them in.  I have tried using a crystal press, broke one crystal trying, tried different size crystal.  Cant seem to get this to go back in.

Any ideas?  does this require a special press die?  how do you measure for the gasket?  I am assuming a 29.5 crystal to fit a 30.3 opening needs a gasket that is .8mm thick? or should it be .4mm thick? or .5 to allow for compression?

I am about to give up and get a 30.3 crystal and silicone syringe.

How wrong am I about this?  any help is appreciated.

Edited by bobolink

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 9:12 AM, bobolink said:

I am having a heck of a time trying to fit a new crystal with Hytrel gasket.  The old mineral crystal was 29.5mm, the full face opening of the watch is 30.30mm.  I have tried several gaskets and cant seem to fit them in.  I have tried using a crystal press, broke one crystal trying, tried different size crystal.  Cant seem to get this to go back in.

Any ideas?  does this require a special press die?  how do you measure for the gasket?  I am assuming a 29.5 crystal to fit a 30.3 opening needs a gasket that is .8mm thick? or should it be .4mm thick? or .5 to allow for compression?

I am about to give up and get a 30.3 crystal and silicone syringe.

How wrong am I about this?  any help is appreciated.

I resolved this issue by purchasing a crystal/hytel ring combination that is sized together.  It was the exact size of the opening when combined and squeezed in perfectly.  Got it from Jules Burel  Co. They sell some crystals by size that includes the width of the hytrel ring.  Lessons learned.