Erratic fluctuations in rate in first 3 hr after servicing

Does anyone face erratic fluctuations in rate (seconds per day) immediately after servicing in the first 3 hr after servicing (disassembly, clean, reassembly and oiling)? Particularly when cycling through the dial up, dial down, crown up, crown down, crown left, and crown right positions, the rate (seconds per day) for each position doesn’t seem to have a fixed value, especially when after switching positions. The rate for each position only seems to stabilize after 3 or more hours of cycling through the various positions.

I have a feeling it might be due to the way I oil the pallet faces, but I can’t seem to do it consistently. I’ve tried oiling the pallet faces directly, letting it run, then cleaning; also tried oiling the escape wheel teeth directly (every 5 teeth).

This erratic readings seem particularly pronounced in small movements such as the eta 2671 or tissot 2700.

Edited by ifibrin

Did you check the TG trace before oiling the pallets?

My mentor told me if the snapping action of the pallet fork is good, not oiling the pallets might be a better option.

I also find that getting the right amount 9415 on the oiler is not that easy. I now use an oiler to pick up some 9415 and deposit it on the tip of another oiler to get that perfect drop of grease. This has help a great deal.

3 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

Did you check the TG trace before oiling the pallets?

My mentor told me if the snapping action of the pallet fork is good, not oiling the pallets might be a better option.

I also find that getting the right amount 9415 on the oiler is not that easy. I now use an oiler to pick up some 9415 and deposit it on the tip of another oiler to get that perfect drop of grease. This has help a great deal.

I’ve not tried monitoring the TG trace without oiling the pallets yet. So far I’ve been experimenting different methods of depositing oil on the pallet faces, such as placing a tiny drop of 9415 on a few teeth of the escape wheel first, etc. to see if I can get a reproducible method. But they all seem to lack consistency.

Just how much 9415 are you using? Your method sounds like a very small amount of 9425, potentially much less than the amount I have been using so far.