Working on Seiko Diashock settings

Hi Guys

more noob Q's 🙂  so it just took me the best part of an hour to remove, clean and replace one of these. even now I'm not sure if the cap jewel is on the right way up. I have a pair of Dumont number 2 tweezers but found it almost impossible to pick up the clover leaf spring or the cap jewel ( I removed them using rodico) 

how do you guys pick them up? it all looks very easy on YouTube, do I need smaller tweezers? is there a special tool or technique? 

after doing that one I feel like I need a lie down! 

Thanks to JDM for advising not to try and remove the tiny caps on the train bridge ( they have little 3 legged cap springs)

23 minutes ago, dismaldunc said:

now I'm not sure if the cap jewel is on the right way up.

There are a couple ways, first learn how to tell by eye, place two next to each other, then flip one, should be able to see the difference using an eyeglass. The other, very gently touch with pegwood (not tweezers) on the rim, if dome is up, it won't move.
Remember you must have work to be about armpit high for this and any other precision task.

23 minutes ago, dismaldunc said:

I have a pair of Dumont number 2 tweezers but found it almost impossible to pick up the clover leaf spring or the cap jewel ( I removed them using rodico)

No. 5 is better for setting spring. As a beginner better not pick jewels and springs with tweezers, use rodico or even better, a silicon gem pickers. 

Thanks again JDM, had never heard of silicone gem pickers, there is now one in my Cousins shopping basket! along with a pair of number 5 tweezers I have a foldout table onto of my desk for working (at armpit level) I found out very early on that my wrists need to be supported or else it all goes horribly wrong.

another thing that I saw on a vid, is supporting the business end of the screwdriver with a pair of tweezers, this really stopped me skidding around and scratching things.

2 hours ago, dismaldunc said:

another thing that I saw on a vid, is supporting the business end of the screwdriver with a pair of tweezers, this really stopped me skidding around and scratching things.

When a driver driver moves easily out of the screw that's because isn't dressed properly, the blade is too thin, touches the bottom of the slot, and cams out. So in this case you have to flatten the tip frontally. That will make the sides wedge in and give you a great grip. Beside freeing your other hand to do what it should, that is holding the mov.t holder, keeping driver dressed will enable you to use cheap drivers which will perform practically the same as a much touted overpriced big brand. However, since not all a same diameter head screws have the same slot width (Seikos are wider), that means you may need two set of drivers for different screws.

To pick up the jewels and the spring, after losing some, Rodico is my way to go. No. 3 Dumont tweezers to put them back once oiled, No 1 Dumont to have the steady on the bench mat while poking at them or oiling them. To manipulate the spring in the setting, the two pairs of tweezers, one in the hole, the other pushing round and down while the spring enters the slots. Easier said than done, I agree. Many attempts I’ve done,  success will come though soon enough!

2 hours ago, Mircea said:

two pairs of tweezers, one in the hole, the other pushing round and down while the spring enters the slots.

The tweezers in the hole is better replaced with a pointy piece of rodico because unlike tweezers that doesn't slip on the domed surfaces, and captures the spring.
As mentioned various times in identical topics, the alternative is an hollowed piece of pegwood as I had shown below.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jdm said:

The tweezer in the hole is better replaced with a pointy piece of rodico because unlike tweezers that doesn't slip on the domed surfaces, and captures the spring.
As mentioned various times in identical topics, the alternative is an hollowed piece of pegwood as I had shown below.

I agree, I just made another newbie error, confounded Diashock spring, the two pronged versus the three pronged one… for the two pronged, I used the hollowed piece of pegwood, it worked better for me. Thank you JDM for the correction.