Hi from Scotland, UK

dodger007

Hi, I'm Robin from Scotland in the UK

I've ended up here having watched a you tube video - or 40 just looking at the possibility of watch repair being a hobby, though having just braved the strange world of replacing a battery I'll admit I'm a little out of depth!

I'm a bit of a Casio fan but looking to change that and move to a mechanical at some point soon.

• Thanks 1

Hi Robin,

Welcome to the forum! 

Where abouts in in Scotland are you? I'm Fife based myself.

Changing a watch battery was what got me into the hobby, I've just kept pushing myself further each time, wondering "if I can do that then I can surely do this" and am definitely hooked now. Certainly requires patience though, I've just spent the last hour on my hands and knees trying to find the worlds smallest spring in my carpet...

Mechanical watches still amaze me to this day, how can something that can be made by hand be so reliable, accurate and efficient. Only trouble is, I have too many grail watches and not enough money for any of them, yet!

James

Thanks for the intro Robin, welcome to the WRT forum! I'm also relatively new and I'm in the middle of my first service of an Elgin Grade 313 movement.

I started replacing batteries years ago out of a sense of frugality. Usually doing it yourself is less expensive however I tried to replace a battery in my wife's Movado and crushed the crystal trying to get the back back on. At the time replacing the watch was the fastest way of keeping my mistake a secret  😞 

• 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Thanks for the various replies. Here are answers to some of the questions/suggestions  switching the winding shafts doesn’t work because the no7 I need is significantly larger than the bore of the no6. i do have a set of chinese winders too, but as noted they’re movement specific and none fit the bill here.  I don’t want to replace the mainspring a)because I like to keep things as original as possible and b)where I live it’s tough to import parts so i have to wait long periods between supplies   so in conclusion I expect to be handwinding the spring this weekend 
    • From the photo the pallet arm looks as if it has been tampered with the edges are not nice and straight this can cause problems on the banking pins. 
    • Update, I discovered that I could change the mainspring by removing the arbor and sliding it out from between the front and back plates. So I put a new mainspring in. This it what I  get over a 7 day period After winding                                          amplitude is 1 1/2 turns plus a few degrees.                                                                        ie just over 1 1/2 turns. 1 day after winding     gained 1 sec      no amplitude check. 2 days after winding   gained 1 sec      amplitude 1 1/2 turns                                                                                                              i.e. it lost the few extra degrees 3 days afer winding    gained 3 sec     no amplitude check 4 days after winding   gained 5 sec     amplitude 1 1/2 turns                                                                                                               i.e. unchanged 5 days after winding   gained 7 sec     no amplitude check 6 days after winding   gained 16sec    amplitude just over 1 1/4 turns 7 days after winding   gained 24sec   amplitude 1 1/4 turns. From  Based on video inspection, I am getting full pallet lock. So, my data seems to be at odds with the statement "swing of a balance wheel has nothing to do with the rate". However, I have noticed the banking posts are not controlling the lever position on the right side.  I may have some work to do here.
    • I can't tell whether or not some stem is stuck in the crown, I  think so though.  If the crown is stainless steel you could try alum to disolve the stem of try drilling it out. If all else fails, buy a new crown. 
    • Does anyone use the x5 eyepieces,  when i use them on my different amscope , the magnification changes to x5 but the field of view remains exactly the same as the x10, so nothing gained. The optical lenses can't be swapped out or at least they are not available as far as i know.