How to remove the dial + movement assembly when behind a ring.

Spok

I have this quartz watch which I am trying to repair (movement swap). However I can't figure out how to take the dial and movement assembly out. 

I have successfully removed the back but the dial will not pop out as it is inset behind a ring from the back. 

I assumed the watch is a front loader since the back ring seems to be integral to the watch case (seamless). However, looking from the front behind the crystal (which I have not removed) it seems like there is another similar looking front ring/bezel locking the dial within the case. I have some pictures of the watch as it is now. I managed to remove the stem but it didn't help so i have put it back in place. 

I don't understand how the dial has been put in place between the retaining rings and how to get it out, any help is appreciated. 

IMG_20220218_120112.jpg

IMG_20220218_120039~2.jpg

Its quite common on these "fashion" watches that the dial is held in with the bezel which contains the crystal. So to remove the bezel you need to locate the pry point and use a case knife or if no prypoint can be foun use a Xacto knife/or blade into the seam carefully to create a gap suitable for a case knie. If you have no movement holder then use safty gloves in case of slippage. The loss/slashing of fingers/hands is not a desireable state of affairs.

You may require a tool/press to re fit the bezel and case back.

• Like 1

Bingo, your suggestion was correct. There is even a prypoint on the side of the front bezel, which I hadn't noticed before. 

Now I just need to find a way to open it up without scratching the watch and/or slashing my hand 🙂

IMG_20220220_122704.jpg

Just use a keen edge, insert it in the groove and twist whilst applying a bit of pressure, wear some protetion on the hand holding the watch.    The movement  is a miyota  2025/30/35. as its got 3 hands nost likley a 35   I have attached the spec sheets  for you. Be aware of the differnt movemnt heights when ordering a replacement.           cheers.

Miyota 2025spec sheet.pdf Miyota 2035, 2036, 2039, 2033, 203A (1).pdf

• 1 month later...

The movement swap is done.

I had ordered 2 spare movements and I didn't even screw the first one up. The most difficult was to put the hours hand because the movement kept coming out as i was trying to set the hand. Surprisingly the seconds hand went on quite easily. I did it all with a standard pair of tweezers, because i didn't want to invest in watch repair equipment for only one repair, but next time I do it i think that I will probably buy some proper hands setting tools.

Thanks @watchweasol, you have been very helpful !

IMG_20220218_120112.jpg