Tool jig for drilling a hole in round stock...or something like that--ideas?

LittleWatchShop

I am fixing a K&D winding arbor.  I need to drill a hole into the round post as shown in the photo.

My lathe provides the ability to drive a drill bit with near zero runout.  But...how do I hold the target so that the hole goes straight through.

Right now I think I need to design a jig that attaches to the tailstock, but maybe there is a better way that I have not thought of.

Any ideas?

2022-02-17 12_34_03-20220217_123031.jpg ‎- Photos.png

When drilling through round stock I always use the poor man's hole jig.

Take a bit of round stock the same diameter as the item to be drilled, or turn a bit to the correct size, place the cutoff Inthe lathe and drill a hole the correct size through the cutoff, then place the workpiece in a vice on the drill press with the drilled cutoff forming a T with the hole in line with were the hole is supposed to be then drill through the cutoff into the workpiece., I find it gives good results and keeps the drill straight as it passed through the workpiece.

Quicker to do than wright about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2022 at 1:41 PM, LittleWatchShop said:

Here is the final product.  The arbor and pins were turned to fit the original knurled knob.

2022-02-18 07_39_59-P1010503.JPG ‎- Photos.png

Thank lws.  I've not even set my lathe up yet, waiting to speak to someone about stripping down the spindle. I'm a little apprehensive about working at this scale. I was a joiner and builder by trade. Woodturning yes, extremely small metal turning 😟