Longines Comet mystery dial problems

Yamagata

Hi, I have two troublesome Longines Comets.

Back in the mid-1980s i purchased two comet movements with “dials” (minute, hour, and chapter ring). Last year, I purchased two NOS cases with crystals already in them from Switzerland and gave them to my watch repairer to clean and assemble. After a cleaning, the movements run perfectly, until they are mounted in the cases. The outer ring and chapter ring come in contact and stop the watch. This happens with both cases, and both movements, and both minute rings. (We’ve tried all the combinations.).

We’re not sure if there’s supposed to be a spacer in the case, or if the minute wheel may have swelled over the years, or what. We’re stumped. These are such cool watches, I’d like to get them running on the wrist! Any ideas about what could be causing this? Or any recommendations of where to look for help on this problem?

Thank you in advance! 

IMG_3027.jpeg

Check if the outermost (minute?) ring is touching the case when movement installed in case. I would imagine that part of the movement or a movement ring should butt up against the inside of the case to ensure the ring does not touch as that would definitely affect timekeeping.

Interesting watch, well worth saving.

Anilv

One check you can do to see if you are missing a spacer/ring is to eyeball the stem hole thru the case tube. If it is perfectly centred then the problem is elsewhere. If the movement stem hole is a bit lower than the casetube then a spacer/movement ring is required.

Anilv

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• The entry and exit stones have different impulse face angles  murks.
    • Depending on how much of the screw is left, you may be able to screw it further in and it may fall out of the hole that the dial foot sat in. To do this I rough up the tip of the good screw and screw it in, often the rough surface of the good screw and the rough surface on the broken screw get enough of a bite to transmit the torque into the broken section and force it out the other side. Like I said the size of the broken screw needs to be in your favor, but you never know you may get lucky.... or if you get it moving you may be able to then back it out with a screwdriver taking a bite on the rough surface. worth a try
    • I will try this weekend.  I've tried several times with my cell phone and it's just too small and recessed to get a good picture.  I need to get my macro lens and tripod out and then figure out how to get enough light down the hole in the side of the man plate to  actually show the top of the broken screw. I appreciate the effort and will try and get that pic this weekend.
    • Hello and welcome from Leeds, England. 
    • Hi,   My name is Simeon I am based in Sydney, Australia and have recently got into watch repair / watch making.  I am very much a learner having serviced multiple forgotten watches, some of which were actually successful!   I have a slowly growing collection of watches, mainly old Soviet, a few Japanese and (not pictured) some Raketas, a Poljot Alarm, an Omega Speedmaster Reduced and a vintage (1972) Tissot Seastar.  I like unloved vintage watches, with quirky faces and enjoy bringing them back to life through the simple(!) act of disassembly, clearing and reassembly. I am an Electrical Engineer who also undertook a trade apprenticeship so I am reasonably handy - It's fair to say, I know just enough to get myself in trouble.