My first shellacking!!

14 hours ago, VWatchie said:

I wouldn't be surprised if buying cheap watches sold for repair or parts and then repair them yourself is way more expensive than buying a Rolex watch. I actively avoid thinking about how much money I've spent on tools, parts, and consumables 😖

So far I have found it almost impossible to find an honest spares and repair watch or almost any watch on eBay, all the ones I have bought all seem to have some hidden history.

I suspect most people buy the Mumbai specials then sell them as spares and repairs when they eventually break. Might start restricting my purchases to flea markets band car boot sales to see if the standard improves.

When buying a "parts only", non-working watch from eBay, don't expect very much. Many of them were donor watches with all their good parts scavenged. And be extra careful when the buyer doesn't accept returns.

With watches advertised as "working", the prices won't be cheap. I especially like those from Japan, Korea and Hong Kong. I have a few of these that work well straight out of the box.

Mumbai specials are a whole different kettle of fish. The top grade ones are working watches that have not been properly serviced. The middle grade are defective watches that have been "serviced" by their in-house master watchmakers. Then there is their bottom of the barrel. I would not touch these with a 10 foot pole. 

I buy Mumbai specials regularly. My mentor made me practise on them to test my level of skill. I would not advise beginners to buy these because if you do not know what is right, you won't know what is wrong.

14 hours ago, Paul80 said:

I have bought all seem to have some hidden history.

I have bought some that, when opened, appeared not to have ever been serviced before.  I refer to them as virgins.  These are not high-end watches.  Things like Caravelles, Walthams, and stuff like that.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.