Can This Be Re-Lumed??

I'm deciding on whether or not to spring for this vintage Zodiac Sea Wolf. Clearly it's been well-loved, however, if the lume can be accurately re-applied to the hands and markers, I think it would clean up the look and make it presentable. Can anyone offer advice on if they think this can be accomplished and how/where I could have this done or find the means to do it myself?

Thank you all for any advice!

Tom

post-953-0-67283500-1429802615_thumb.jpg

Mark has a video on reluming hands, which is very clear. I've used his technique myself and found it worked fine. Can't see a problem there with the hands And you can get lume which can be stained to match the batons.

But, looking at your watch dial, it's difficult to see where the old lume extends on the batons. If it runs under the numerals, then you might have a problem in getting a clean relume - if the lume is only on the edges of the batons, it might be easier. I've not done batons myself - just hands - because I was afraid to muck them up!

Mark has a video on reluming hands, which is very clear. I've used his technique myself and found it worked fine. Can't see a problem there with the hands And you can get lume which can be stained to match the batons.

But, looking at your watch dial, it's difficult to see where the old lume extends on the batons. If it runs under the numerals, then you might have a problem in getting a clean relume - if the lume is only on the edges of the batons, it might be easier. I've not done batons myself - just hands - because I was afraid to muck them up!

I watched the video quite a while ago but I will make sure to go watch it again! Are the batons you're referring to the triangular markers with the numerals? Unfortunately I've not heard the term before, forgive my ignorance! Thank you for the advice Will.

Welcome to the forum Tomble. Yes those hands (Dauphine style) can be relumed. I would not attempt a relume of the batons on the dial--its too risky to ruin the dial on such a nice Zodiac.

J

Thank you for the welcome! I've been waiting to join for too long. Admittedly I am not nearly skilled enough to re-lume the batons here, however, do you think it could be worth getting done by a true professional? Thanks for feedback.

I watched the video quite a while ago but I will make sure to go watch it again! Are the batons you're referring to the triangular markers with the numerals? Unfortunately I've not heard the term before, forgive my ignorance! Thank you for the advice Will.

Silly me. Now that I know what they are, it seems quite obvious what the batons are.  :D

Thank you for the welcome! I've been waiting to join for too long. Admittedly I am not nearly skilled enough to re-lume the batons here, however, do you think it could be worth getting done by a true professional? Thanks for feedback.

It depends on the professional, but I would caution against it if it entails reapplying the 12, 6 and 9 numbers on those batons. The value of a watch is decided upon by its mechanical state obviously, but also to a large degree on the originality and condition of its dial. The hands can be relumed to color match the age of the batons, but be careful in deciding upon the batons--it will probably add little in terms of aesthetics, and may result in complications requiring a redial (worst case scenario!).

It depends on the professional, but I would caution against it if it entails reapplying the 12, 6 and 9 numbers on those batons. The value of a watch is decided upon by its mechanical state obviously, but also to a large degree on the originality and condition of its dial. The hands can be relumed to color match the age of the batons, but be careful in deciding upon the batons--it will probably add little in terms of aesthetics, and may result in complications requiring a redial (worst case scenario!)

Ok thanks for the info guys! Is there a reason why batons are so much harder to relume than hands?

Edited by Tomblye

Ok thanks for the info guys! Is there a reason why batons are so much harder to relume than hands?

Yes, the hands are re-lumed from the back of the hands and it is capillary action that draws the lume into the aperture in the hands. When it comes to the dial, you actually have to apply it very accurately with a very fine paint brush.

• Like 1

Yes, the hands are re-lumed from the back of the hands and it is capillary action that draws the lume into the aperture in the hands. When it comes to the dial, you actually have to apply it very accurately with a very fine paint brush.

Again, very interesting. I love learning about how this is done. Thanks for the post. 

It may be best for me to post this under a different topic entirely, but I thought I might ask here since the answers have already been so knowledgeable. This particular Zodiac has an all stainless steel case so i'm not referring to it, but another watch I am interested in has lost some of the plating on the lugs. If possible, how is this restored? How much does it normally cost? Is it something that can be done by an amateur like myself or is it difficult enough to require professional attention? This site has already been extremely welcoming and helpful. Again, thank you for the help and information.

It may be best for me to post this under a different topic entirely, but I thought I might ask here since the answers have already been so knowledgeable. This particular Zodiac has an all stainless steel case so i'm not referring to it, but another watch I am interested in has lost some of the plating on the lugs. If possible, how is this restored? How much does it normally cost? Is it something that can be done by an amateur like myself or is it difficult enough to require professional attention? This site has already been extremely welcoming and helpful. Again, thank you for the help and information.

Replating is best done by professionals! The brass case of older watches has to be stripped completely of the old finish and if to be refinished in Rhodium, then a base coating of copperplate, followed by nickelplate and last is the rhodium plate. Of course the watch case must be fine-sanded and buffed beforehand and any fills, pitting or low spots must also be done before plating. I've had four watches replated: three in nickel/rhodium, and one in yellow gold. The cost depends on the microns desired--more microns more durability. Five to 10 microns is usually sufficient for a watch. The cost is between $85 for 3-5 microns on just the case, to $225 for 5-10 microns on the case, watch back and crown.  All of these are usually done along with the watchcase. I can send you some names if you PM me and also some pics of the work.

Joe

Edited by noirrac1j