Imperial Purchase And Service

Moving along the other night I started a service on this Imperial that I purchased a couple of weeks ago. I have come to like these little watches. I disassembled, cleaned and started my re-assembly. All was going well and as I put a little wind on it it ran like a stop watch. I spent 3 minutes checking the click and ratchet wheel, then the train gears. Suddenly I looked down at the pallet fork and there it was...or wasn't. The pallet jewel had fallen out and was laying in the movement. Now to put that back in is another feat which I may not yet be qualified to accomplish. Dashed my hopes of wearing this one for a while.

Just wanted to share and thank you all for listening (reading).

Gpost-337-0-30288800-1428448876_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Garry,

Also, you can glue it back with shellac and heat! Not a task for the faint of heart as seen in Mark's videos!

what did you clean it with?          

Interested in this too!

Cheers,

Bob

At this point the shellac and repair may be beyond my skill level. I would like to do it, eventually but I also am just starting and don't have the necessary tools. I will get there one day but for now will have to add that watch to the "needs" list

I cleaned it with lighter fluid we call it Zippo here in the states. Has not happened up till now. It soaked for about 15 minutes while I worked on the mainspring cleaning.

G

I cleaned it with lighter fluid we call it Zippo here in the states. Has not happened up till now. It soaked for about 15 minutes while I worked on the mainspring cleaning.

G

That shouldn't have caused the issue Gary.

Geo,

I have been successful in the past with cleaning and soaking in the lighter fluid. I am going to agree with you. It very well may have been loose.

Question for you or anyone. This is an AS 1124. Would a donor pallet fork be the same?

Pallets are available at Cousins, but they're not cheap, probably better to look for a donor. I haven't found lighter fluid to be a problem, my parts get up to 30 mins in the ultrasonic in it.