Imperial Purchase And Service

Moving along the other night I started a service on this Imperial that I purchased a couple of weeks ago. I have come to like these little watches. I disassembled, cleaned and started my re-assembly. All was going well and as I put a little wind on it it ran like a stop watch. I spent 3 minutes checking the click and ratchet wheel, then the train gears. Suddenly I looked down at the pallet fork and there it was...or wasn't. The pallet jewel had fallen out and was laying in the movement. Now to put that back in is another feat which I may not yet be qualified to accomplish. Dashed my hopes of wearing this one for a while.

Just wanted to share and thank you all for listening (reading).

Gpost-337-0-30288800-1428448876_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Garry,

Also, you can glue it back with shellac and heat! Not a task for the faint of heart as seen in Mark's videos!

what did you clean it with?          

Interested in this too!

Cheers,

Bob

At this point the shellac and repair may be beyond my skill level. I would like to do it, eventually but I also am just starting and don't have the necessary tools. I will get there one day but for now will have to add that watch to the "needs" list

I cleaned it with lighter fluid we call it Zippo here in the states. Has not happened up till now. It soaked for about 15 minutes while I worked on the mainspring cleaning.

G

I cleaned it with lighter fluid we call it Zippo here in the states. Has not happened up till now. It soaked for about 15 minutes while I worked on the mainspring cleaning.

G

That shouldn't have caused the issue Gary.

Geo,

I have been successful in the past with cleaning and soaking in the lighter fluid. I am going to agree with you. It very well may have been loose.

Question for you or anyone. This is an AS 1124. Would a donor pallet fork be the same?

Pallets are available at Cousins, but they're not cheap, probably better to look for a donor. I haven't found lighter fluid to be a problem, my parts get up to 30 mins in the ultrasonic in it.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• ...and if you haven't found this already, here is the oiling chart: https://miyotamovement.com/product/8215/ --> scroll down to "Parts list/Exploded view" and open the tab.   
    • A worn winding pinion wouldn't release the power, as the click is holding the crown wheel. 
    • The problem with a watch like this is where is the technical information? I wasn't even sure that was even based on anything it looks from the link I have below it is based on a real watch well loosely based so maybe there's technical? https://calibercorner.com/pts-caliber-dg-2813/ There guess the watch company has a tiny bit of technical they acknowledge they made the watch but not seeing any service information? https://miyotamovement.com/product/8215/ I did finally find a service sheet for the watch but as it said in the first link it's not an exact clone so that will be some variations. The problem with the Chinese watches they do not supply any technical information spare parts or anything at all other than a cheap watch Which is fine until you go to service the thing and then they'll be problems. On the other hand there clone of the 6497/6498 pocketwatch is almost identical and that means that there is a Swiss tech sheet available which is very very close unlike here where there'll be some differences Now this is a much better choice for watch as they have a website. I'm attaching the technical information for your watch from the website at least they have a really decent service guide versus the Chinese. https://www.timemodule.com/             8691_276584548-Spare-parts-reference-for-the-Miyota-8205-8215-movement.pdf NH35_PL.pdf NH35_SS.pdf NH35_TG.pdf
    • Guys, thanks for your help! According to the advice of a colleague @nevenbekriev, I managed to straighten the spring. Surprisingly, it turned out completely flat. Like new. And the watch after that, for the first time since it was with me, started running late. 🙂 That's great news!!! The rotation of the weights is about 190/200 degrees. In the past 12 hours, it was 4 minutes late. I still have enough room to speed it up. Looks like everything will be OK.  Thank you very much for your help!
    • Thank you for this post. Adding on to it, I've done a little digging trying to get the most bang for my buck. So I really wanted a set that had a base. You can buy the screwdrivers for around $33 usd 10 Piece Screwdriver Set. The base is around $32 usd Rotating Screwdriver Base (Grey) plus $20 in shipping, with tax you are looking at about $90 which is an excellent deal for what you get but I still didn't want to spend that much. I saw that they had the 9 piece set w/ base for $59 usd 9 Piece Screwdriver Set W/Base and I had a 'welcome discount' and got a matching 3mm screwdriver for 99 cents. 3mm Screwdriver. (without the discount the screwdriver is $6) With free shipping my total was $66.55 usd. So, I saved about $24 to go without a slot for a 3mm screwdriver. I'll take that! I hope this helps anyone looking to save a buck or two. Also, this corrects the issue of the orange 1.8mm screwdriver. 😉