Opinions Required!

EdB

Hi All,

So I purchased another movement off of eBay to obtain a balance complete that I buggered up on one of my attempts to adjust the hairspring. Anyhoo; I received the movement earlier this evening and started my inspection to insure the balance complete was intact and in good working order, thankfully it was. But to my surprise this movement is severely rusted which was hidden by the dial. Once I removed the dial it was very apparent that this movement sat in water for a period of time. Anyway I was able to disassemble the movement to the point where I had to remove the canon pinon which is rusted to the center wheel, I currently have the main plate sitting in some rust remover to see if that free's it up. I know this is a lost cause BUT I am looking at it as an opportunity to take on another problem/challenge which I'm sure is common place in the Horology trade. Dealing with rust and I mean a lot of rust! I figure I can attempt to clean all of the parts to see if any are usable for stock or to try to see if I can get this movement to run. From what I am seeing thus far it will need a new main spring, and stem along with any other parts that are to badly corroded once I start the cleaning process. This is where Opinions are Required!!!

Also this has a copper like finish is there a name that refers to this Rose?

I have attached a few photos of what I will be dealing with for your amusement. 

20210326_212048.jpg

PICA0001.jpg

PICA0003.jpg

PICA0004.jpg

17 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Except the fork and oscilator you can drop the rest in Coca cola leave it soaking for 48 hrs, then brus( tooth brush)  under tap water, use a bit of powder detergent as abrasive, mto clean the rust.

Nucejoe, 

It's looking to me like a parts donor; whilst inspecting I notice the canon pinon has a broken tooth as well. I sure more cleaning will reveal more issues. 

Ya

44 minutes ago, EdB said:

Nucejoe, 

It's looking to me like a parts donor; whilst inspecting I notice the canon pinon has a broken tooth as well. I sure more cleaning will reveal more issues. 

Yes, I noticed the word amusement in your first post?, yet a dozen parts , barrel, crown and ratchet wheels, all bridges .... look savable. 

You can loose balance pivots and all the shelac in ultrasonic.?

If removed, hairspring is safe in lighter fluid and ultrasonic.

Almost all gears are goners. 

Spare parts aren't worth anything until one saves a watch.

22 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Ya

Yes, I noticed the word amusement in your first post?, yet a dozen parts , barrel, crown and ratchet wheels, all bridges .... look savable. 

You can loose balance pivots and all the shelac in ultrasonic.?

If removed, hairspring is safe in lighter fluid and ultrasonic.

Almost all gears are goners. 

Spare parts aren't worth anything until one saves a watch.

Duly noted. I am currently soaking balance complete with balance bridge attached as the screw seems to be stuck as well. Not sure at this point if I will get the balance complete removed safely. As this was the part I purchased the movement for in the first place. I am soaking in lighter fluid and having it run in the ultrasonic to see if if may loosen up this way, if not I'll try WD-40 and then coca cola. 

I did win a L&R Master cleaner off of eBay recently. I am waiting for it to arrive along with some other tools I have won. Is the L&R Extra Fine cleaning solution the way to go for that machine. As well as using the #3 rinse in the two rinsing stages? 

2 hours ago, EdB said:

I am soaking in lighter fluid and having it run in the ultrasonic to see if if may loosen up this way, 

Not a good recepie, all shelac will be washed off the impulse jewel if run through ultrasonic in lighter fluid. Coca cola and WD40 are even worse when in ultrasonic. ( its the vibrations thats damaging)

Penetrating oil on the stud should work without damaging the shelac.

If you can support the stud arm in a staking set or an anvil , just punch the stud out.