Omega Pocket Watch Help :(

Oh no, sorry to disagree Will, IMHO, that would break the stem with a wrist movement, it should be shortened. Also the water/dust protection as it is, is shot and needs to be fixed by having the crown seat properly. i.e. with the tube inside the crown. Why can't a proper stem be sourced and/or even a crown? are we talking here cost or simply availability? Either way, if suppliers can't fill the order, maybe ebay can? For wearing even an after market crown will be preferable since it will protect the movement and dial from the elements, provided it is fitted to do its job. Even if you are not wearing it the exposed tube will always be a problem. It would be a pity that such nice dial were to be damaged by dust and humidity just because of a stem/crown issue.

Thanks for the replies guys, and i may have to find me a silversmith if i can't do it myself ( thx will ). I have found some hands that are the correct size and they are identical to what i have on at the moment, the only downside is that the sub sec hand will be black rather than blued, so i may have to rummage through my scrap draw to see if i have a suitable donor.

I do kind of agree you bob, the crown isn't perfect and dust/humidity etc is a problem, however if you look at the photo i posted near the top of this page you can see the issue i have with the stem. The stem has been hand made to fit, if i were to guess, it looks like it is a modified pocket watch stem with new thread. The crown will fit nice and snug if the stem were shorter, easily covering the pendent tube. I have tried to source a stem from everywhere i know but the issue i had/have is the caliber is not common or even definitive, most of the time it is pure guess work. At least now i have a stem that fits correctly so i can take precise measurements to go by in finding a possible new one.

The alternative is to try and remove the crown, ( which tbh looks very well fused to the crown at this stage ) and thread down even further whilst cutting it down a fraction at a time. I may be able to clip off a small amount at the end section but this is not ideal.

The glass was a bit of an odd size so i had to make one to fit but it looks good to me so im happy. I have ordered a strap for the watch which should only take a few days to arrive.

Sometimes things are never straight forward, but persistence and patience have got me through each restoration so far. Im not a perfectionist but i always aim high even if i don't always reach it :)

Still work to do...

I stand corrected, Bob - must get my specs sorted - as it looked OK to me!

... Yes, just looked at the pic enlarged, and the gap between crown and tube is noticeable - bigger than I thought originally.

• 3 weeks later...

Well i thought id conclude this thread by adding the final photo :) Thanks to those who added thoughts and advice, she will now go into my collection box for my children to inherit :D

She's not perfect but she's mine :D

DSC01116_zpstwr0ms4g.jpgDSC01109_zpsexyd17eu.jpg

• Like 1

It is OK Will, I've had the same problem with pictures in the past! I've been having internet problems and haven't been around hence. I noticed you removed your avatar!

In any case, the watch is nice, I'd just try and get a crown that fits over the stem if I'm wearing it. Just a thought!

Cheers,

Bob

• Similar Content