How to fabricate a set bridge for an old pocket watch Helvetia

Brutus

You will absolutely need to temper it. You can use a gas cooker at home, or a spirit lamp, or a blow torch for heating and then tempering. 

I’d rather let some of the more experienced watchmakers comment on what colour is best to temper to for a setting lever. You’ll find blue on some antique work, but that does not necessarily mean that it is the best hardness for the job. 

22 hours ago, Doreen said:

I should harden the steel first before testing the part on the watch or I should first make sure is working properly on the movement and than harden the new part steel? 

If you have not messed with that feeler gauge blade before cutting it I see no compelling reason to do that now, the steel is made to last and be springy, will serve its purpose well for the foreseeable future.

Oh, it was made from a feeler gauge! Sorry, I missed that part. I agree with JDM. If the original feeler gauges feel like they have a good spring action and return to shape after deformation (and don’t snap!) then it may be fine to leave them as-is. 

I have harden and temper the new steel  part. Just installed back and everything seems to work good. I’m very happy about it. To be honest I never tough I will be able to make it out. Thank you for so many good advices I received here; greatly appreciated.

This is embarrassing,... I just can’t find the shock spring anywhere. I know exactly where I put it; I just don’t know what happened with it. Perhaps my little princess (Ariana) got in to my desk. She love watching when I work on my watches. I search about 3 hours for it everywhere...no spring.

For now I managed to put a dial washer to keep the ruby on place...I know it is not ideal but it is just temporary until I manage to find one.  I start looking online but is no way I can find the model that I need...or perhaps I don’t know were to look for it.

If anyone have a spare to share, I will very much appreciated. I will attach some images with the style of the shock spring. It looks like a star(3 corners)with a tiny little hole in the middle...no idea of the model name. I measured the diameter where the spring has to get in to hold the ruby in place and is about 3 mm; so I assume the spring has to be a little bit bigger(perhaps 3.10mm!).

It may work the one I see on the second image (Seiko watch).

Please help me out...or point me in the right direction where I can find one.

Thank you

6E3403CD-FB1D-4F76-BC8D-ADC8EA6C08FB.jpeg

8321D6B0-CD65-4EF5-B726-1F8A793461F8.jpeg

ECCB2DAB-F07D-4325-AB90-6F7827F1121B.jpeg

Edited by Doreen
Typos
  • Like 1

• jdm featured this topic