Help With Bracelet!

hi Bob, this is not a brute force or tool problem. the answer lies in simple chemistry.

get yourself some Alum. mix it in hot water and keep the water warm.

put the bracelet in the mix for a few days and the pin will dissolve.

alum quickly corrodes steel pins and screws but does not affect stainless or brass.

i use an old coffee maker to keep the mixture warm as it does not work at room temperature.

if you need more specific instructions just ask.

happy to help.

Todd

P.S.

as an added bonus it will make your bracelet taste like pickles if you don't rinse it afterwards.

Edited by dalarry

right you are Geo!

i have only used this trick to dissolve a broken screw out of a brass movement plate.

perhaps i should have a policy of not posting anything at 2 in the morning my time.

my apologies

Todd

Thank you Todd, your post in appreciated anyway, don't let the morning -- whichever time -- deter you from doing that! I learned something from your post: use a coffee maker! No wonder my alum concoctions didn't work as expected! :)

On the other hand, I'm still thinking that the stainless part is just the outside and I'm afraid to corrode the already corroded bracelet some more, therefore the uncontrolled/controlled brute force (a little bit of both in alternating ways and in between swears)...as they say, my the brute force be with you! I'm still heating the thing with a soldering gun (the old one that gets really hot) and will do all the great advises so far -- and any future one that pop up in time -, including yours if everything else fails!

I think the drilling part must have to be done at some point in order to put the links back together if a suitable hole is not produced by whatever successful process ...I'm still waiting for the drill bits to arrive so we have time.

Cheers,

Bob