Broken stem, how to fit new one to quartz movement 955.112

My son dropped his Victorinox quartz watch, and apparently it hit the ground on the crown, since the stem broke. He found the crown in the floor, and after opening the case, I found the tip of the stem loose inside the case. 

I just got a new stem, which I had to order twice, since it uses a longer stem than usual. The first one was too short. So, trying to fit the stem, it doesn't feel like is engaging the keyless works. I'm trying to slowly, and lightly, push it in, but it reaches a point where it doesn't go further in, but is not doing anything, like quick date change, or changing the hour. If I pull it out, it goes out, with no need to push the release pin, which I've also pushed in trying to get the stem in.

So, I basically have no idea in which state the keyless works system is since is not allowing me to push the new stem in.

Any ideas?

Edited by MartinOcando

• MartinOcando changed the title to Broken stem, how to fit new one to quartz movement
  • MartinOcando changed the title to Broken stem, how to fit new one to quartz movement 955.112
1 hour ago, MartinOcando said:

I found the tip of the stem loose inside the case.

it would be nice of you to post a picture of what you found inside the watch?

usually when the stem breaks it leaves part of itself inside the movement.

Nope. I don't think there is anything left in the movement. This is the new untrimmed stem loosely screwed to the crown, and the remaining pieces of the broken stem. I found the tip inside the movement, but out of the stem hole. It was just merely around the spacer of the movement. The smaller piece was still attached to the crown.

The last picture is a representation of how I found the tip of the stem inside the watch.

IMG_1363.jpeg

IMG_1364.jpeg

IMG_1365.jpeg

definitely looks like it's all they are but it can't just fall out by itself?

I'm attaching the service guide in case you don't have it. on page 8 shows how the circuit comes off. If you remove that you can see the sliding pinion as they call it that's part number two on the list it might've rotated and that would be a reason the stem wouldn't go in. In any case I give you a better view of what's going on. You do not need to remove the watch from the case you just take the circuit off and the associated metal shield over the coil.

_c_t_ct_955112_fde_491181_10.pdf

• Thanks 1

I'll wait for the rest of my tools to arrive before doing any more work on this watch. I want to try to minimize any possible mishap caused by either not having the proper tools, or the proper foundation to work comfortably (movement holder).

So, I'll update this thread next week when I get the rest of my tools.