Broken Ratchet Wheel Screw

Don

I did a dumb, dumb thing today and broke off a ratchet wheel screw in the barrel arbor. Any tips on how to remove it? It's an AS 1880 movement. It shares some parts with the AS 1746, which I have, but guess which part I lost?

Thanks,

Don

I have had good results desolving it with alum assuming the plate/bridge is not steel as the screw is. If so, I'll be glad to supply the details.

Sorry, nevermind. I see it's the barrel arbor which is steel as well. Best to drill out smaller and remove excess metal in threads with a broach or needle.

Edited by Gotwatch

Thanks, Gotwatch. I sent an email inquiring about a replacement part and then I zip tied a magnet to the cat's leg and let him roam around the house for an hour. Somewhere in the carpet he picked up the barrel arbor from the 1746 movement.

Actually I got down on my hands and knees with a flashlight and magnet and was able to find it. I did consider the cat idea though.

• Like 1

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Demagnetising of an anvil will depend of the anvil size. If it is big, then nither Elma, nor chinese clone will do the job. But the K&D from the picture will do. Have in mind that the bigger is the object, the stronger is the magnetic force that it will fill inside the field. If You can't hold the object still, then You will need demagnetiser that works on higher frequency rather than smaller one.
    • Forgot to mention that only demagnetize a balance when its in the movement, otherwise the magnetic field will snatch the coils and damage them
    • Sometimes a sticky hairspring might unravel after using a demagnetizer. But if you push the coils until they touch, they will stick together again. I find that brushing the coils gently while submerged in naptha the most effective way to cure a sticky hairspring. Sometimes it requires 2 or 3 washes to cure it. I often wondered what causes a hairspring to become sticky. The 9010 in the jewels are unlikely to drip onto the hairspring. The other possibility is the 9415 on the pallets. But then that's on the other side, below the balance. Can it "splash" onto the hairspring?  Looking at the stickiness and tenacity, I'm leaning towards 9415.
    • I was about to ask the same question, it sounds a lot like magnetism which is a quick fix (assuming you have access to the correct tool) and ideally something you should do anyway.
    • Nice! I have lately been buying up a handful of Arnex pieces on eBay because it is often obvious even without photos that they house a fine Unitas 6498. And many of the 1970s cases and "old timey themed" dials are irredeemably ugly so they are a cheap way to pickup great movements to power custom wristwatch projects. All of the ones I've bought were in like new condition, barely used assuming they were bought as graduation or retirement gifts in the 70s or 80s.